Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Inventor Apprentice

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1309 Views, 9 Replies

Problems with Inventor Apprentice

Hi,

I'm fairly new with Inventor and Inventor programming. As a documentalist I will use Inventor Publisher for illustrations (arriving in a few weeks), but I need an automized way of getting images of individual parts and assemblies when necessary. I'm working on small prototypes to test possibilities like extracting (thumbnail) images of parts. I installed Inventor View 2015 and Visual Studio 2013 and tried added the "Autodesk Inventor View Control". VS added the references "AxInventorViewControllib", "InventorApprentice" and "InventorViewControlLib" automatically after dragging the toolbox component into the Windows form. Without any coded added to the project I immediately run into problems. It seems the Inventor Apprentice DLL file cannot be found. I know from forums and previous experience that this functionallity often doesn't work. I'm not sure if it is incompatibility between VS2013 and View 2015 or something else. I tried registering and unregistering the InventorViewCTRL.ocx, and even the 32bit in combination with 32bit CPU in VS. I can't find the needed dll on my system, but still VS doesn't give errors in the references screen.

The error can be seen in the attachment.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
YuhanZhang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Seems there is a problem that the VS does not copy the compiled  Interop.InventorApprentice.dll to the  Bin folder when you run/debug the probject. Our dev is looking into this.

A workaround for now is after your compilation you can find the Interop.InventorApprentice.dll from the folder like obj\x86\Debug\, copy the Interop.InventorApprentice.dll to the folder like Bin\Debug\ where your executable is located, and then run your executable to check if the problem solves.

Hope this helps.

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 10
YuhanZhang

To avoid manually copy the Interop.InventorApprentice.dll, you can do a change in the VS, i.e. select the Interop.InventorApprentice.dll in the References, and in its Properties change its "Embed Interop Types” to False, and then change the "Copy Local" to True.

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: YuhanZhang

Hi Yuhanzhang,

Many thanks. I fixed the problem with your suggestions. I still have problems with the program but not the code. I have no more errors or warnings in VS, but only sometimes when running the code.

Most times when I pick a file and load into the Inventor view control using the filename attribute, the view stays grey but shows the Inventor View controls. Occasionaly I get A file cannot be found error regarding file adskassetapi_new-2.5.dll. I'm using .Net 4.5, but that hasn't given me errors.

When I load assemblies I sometimes get an error of a missing part file that can't be found. The Iventor View Control is doing something, but the View stays grey.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Here's an image with IPT or IAM loaded. Is there any API documentation about implementing this control, newer than on this site:?

http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2013/03/inventor-api-training-lesson-12.html

Message 6 of 10
YuhanZhang

Can you open the data with Inventor View(InventorView.exe) without any problem? Or the same problem like the ActiveX control does?

When you see the error adskassetapi_new-2.5.dll is missing, is the data last saved by Inventor 2012? 

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Inventor View itself works perfect with all files.

Our company yearly upgrades all Inventor suits, so we have lots of parts made by different Inventor versions.

Message 8 of 10
YuhanZhang

Is it convenient for you to provide the data to us so we can reproduce the problem here?

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Have these issues been solved ? I do get a white image and the "adskassetapi_new-2.5.dll is missing " message. I'm on Inventor 2015. Thanks
Message 10 of 10
YuhanZhang

Hi Carl,

The issue is fixed in Inventor 2016. For Inventor 2015 you can copy the attached DLLs to "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Bin\Bin32" folde to solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report