Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Bug Report - Rigid Joint API

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
LukeDavenport
462 Views, 3 Replies

Possible Bug Report - Rigid Joint API

Hi this is to inform Autodesk of a possible glitch/bug in the joint creation API. To explain:

Normal UI behaviour: If I create a rigid joint between 2 faces, and then move or twist either of the faces in any direction, the joint remains rigid and intact. 

Apparent API behaviour: A programmatically created rigid joint will remain intact for some movements (turning/translating the face) but not for others (twisting/rotating the face).

I would assume that the behaviour of an API created rigid joint should be the same as a normal UI created joint. 

This is an important part of a large customer project we are currently working on. I'll be very happy to provide a dataset/video explaining the problem further as required.

Many thanks,

Luke

ps. Heres the function that creates the rigid joint. This works fine - the problem occurs later when a joint face is moved.

Public Sub AssemblyJoint(face1 As Face, face2 As Face, seljoint1compocc As ComponentOccurrence, seljoint2compocc As ComponentOccurrence)

' create a FaceProxy.

Dim AsmDef As AssemblyComponentDefinition
AsmDef = inventorapp.ActiveDocument.ComponentDefinition

Try

' create a FaceProxy.
Dim face3 As FaceProxy
Dim face4 As FaceProxy
seljoint1compocc.CreateGeometryProxy(face1, face3)

seljoint2compocc.CreateGeometryProxy(face2, face4)

Dim face1Intent As GeometryIntent = AsmDef.CreateGeometryIntent(face3, PointIntentEnum.kPlanarFaceCenterPointIntent) 

Dim face2Intent As GeometryIntent = AsmDef.CreateGeometryIntent(face4, PointIntentEnum.kPlanarFaceCenterPointIntent) 

Dim intentOne As GeometryIntent = face1Intent
Dim intentTwo As GeometryIntent = face2Intent

Dim jointDef As AssemblyJointDefinition = AsmDef.Joints.CreateAssemblyJointDefinition(AssemblyJointTypeEnum.kRigidJointType, intentTwo, intentOne)

' jointDef.FlipAlignmentDirection = False
jointDef.FlipOriginDirection = True
Dim joint As AssemblyJoint = AsmDef.Joints.Add(jointDef)

' Make the joint visible.
joint.Visible = True

joint1Label.Text = ""
joint1partlab.Text = ""
joint2Label.Text = ""
joint2partlab.Text = ""

Catch ex As Exception
End Try

End Sub

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi - can someone from Autodesk please respond to this thread?

Please see attached pics - they show:

1) Rigid joint that has been created with the user interface - the two faces align as expected.

2) Rigid joint that has been created with the API (iLogic rule) - The two faces do not align as expected.

I also have a very quick 30 second video showing this - that I will be happy to provide. The code below can also be pasted straight into an iLogic rule to test this on any two parts in an assembly.

Can anyone explain this difference between UI and API or confirm that this is a bug please.

Many thanks,
Luke

Imports AssemblyJointTypeEnum
Imports Inventor.SelectionFilterEnum

'Make a ref to active docDim doc As AssemblyDocument = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
Dim oDef As AssemblyComponentDefinition = doc.ComponentDefinition
' Set a reference to the transient geometry collection.Dim oTransGeom As TransientGeometry = ThisApplication.TransientGeometry
Dim oObj As Object
Dim oObj2 As Object

Dim oSSet As SelectSet
oSSet = doc.SelectSet

' Set selection filter to part planar faces onlyDim oFilter As SelectionFilterEnum
oFilter = kPartFacePlanarFilter
' Get a object selection from the user (Face)    

oObj = ThisApplication.CommandManager.Pick(oFilter, "Pick Face 1 For Joint") oObj2 = ThisApplication.CommandManager.Pick(oFilter, "Pick Face 2 For Joint") If Not (TypeOf oObj Is FaceProxy) Then MessageBox.Show("Error!", "Title") Exit Sub End If Dim oFaceProxy1 As FaceProxy oFaceProxy1 = oObj If Not (TypeOf oObj Is FaceProxy) Then MessageBox.Show("Please select 2 faces...", "Title") Exit Sub End If Dim oFaceProxy2 As FaceProxy oFaceProxy2 = oObj2 Dim face1Intent As GeometryIntent = oDef.CreateGeometryIntent(oFaceProxy1, PointIntentEnum.kPlanarFaceCenterPointIntent) Dim face2Intent As GeometryIntent = oDef.CreateGeometryIntent(oFaceProxy2, PointIntentEnum.kPlanarFaceCenterPointIntent)
' Create two intents to define the geometry for the connection.

Dim intentOne As GeometryIntent intentOne = face1Intent Dim intentTwo As GeometryIntent intentTwo = face2Intent ' Create a rigid jont between the two parts.Dim jointDef As AssemblyJointDefinition jointDef = oDef.Joints.CreateAssemblyJointDefinition(AssemblyJointTypeEnum.kRigidJointType, intentOne, intentTwo) jointDef.FlipAlignmentDirection = False jointDef.FlipOriginDirection = True Dim oEdge1 As Edge = oFaceProxy1.Edges.Item(1) Dim oEdge2 As Edge = oFaceProxy2.Edges.Item(1) Dim Joint As AssemblyJoint Joint = oDef.Joints.Add(jointDef) ' Make the joint visible.Joint.Visible = True

Message 3 of 4
adam.nagy
in reply to: LukeDavenport

Hi Luke,

Yes, I would like to see a video showing all the steps.

Also, I'm wondering why you have 4 parts in the assembly instead of just 2.

Is it necessary in order to reproduce the behaviour?

It could also be useful to attach all the sample documents you are using.

Thank you,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 4 of 4
LukeDavenport
in reply to: adam.nagy

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply - please refer to this thread - I believe another Autodesk employee is looking at this now for us.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-Customization/Create-Rigid-Joint-in-Assembly/m-p/4819107/high...

Thanks,
Luke

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report