Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Place a Workpoint on a cylindrical face via AddByCurveAndEntity?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
kai.mecke
496 Views, 2 Replies

Place a Workpoint on a cylindrical face via AddByCurveAndEntity?

Hello,

on the surface of a rotated body I would like to place a working point, which is defined by an radial axis and the faces of the body  – does not sound that tricky, but its driving me nuts right now.

My approach was the following: I have the rotated body (given by the user) and a radial workaxis, which cuts through the surface. The Face which is cut can be a cylindrical face or a conus. I find the actual face using the FindUsingVector Method

Btw, I am using C#, but VB answers are highly appreciated as well 😉

ObjectsEnumerator fndObj;

object locPnts;

double rayRad = 0.01;

SelectionFilterEnum[] objtypes = new SelectionFilterEnum[1];

objtypes[0] = SelectionFilterEnum.kPartFaceFilter;

fndObj = oMMCompDef.FindUsingVector(wPoint2.Point, oWax1.Line.Direction, ref objtypes, true, rayRad, true, out locPnts);

Face fc = null;

foreach (object obj in fndObj)

{

fc = (Face) obj;

log.logMsg("out: " + fc.Vertices.Count + " " + fc.Type.ToString() + " " + fc.SurfaceType.ToString());

// log output: 18.09.2013 16:29:29 - out: 2 kFaceObject kCylinderSurface

}

WorkPoint wPoint3 = oMMCompDef.WorkPoints.AddByCurveAndEntity(oWax1, oWPlane4); // fine

WorkPoint wPoint4 = oMMCompDef.WorkPoints.AddByCurveAndEntity(oWax1, fc, wPoint3, false); // fails

From my understanding, locPnts already contains the intersection point, but I would like to have a Workingpoint with complete references. Therefore I use the AddByCurveAndEntity method, which is not happy with my parameters (Unspecified error (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL)) for workpoint wPoint4 . The generation Workpoint wPoint3 works great, but with the cylindrical face “fc” it fails. The documentation says, when the “curve” is a line, then any kind of face is allowed – what am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help

Kai

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi Kai,

I can't tell you anything based on that incomplete code sample... it seems to me that you are providing a WorkAxis as input parameter to AddByCurveAndEntity, which is not a supported type. Please provide the complete code sample along with a test part if you need any further help on that topic.

Thank you,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 3
kai.mecke
in reply to: kai.mecke

Hi Philippe,

Thank you for your answer. Sorry for the delayed feedback, but good news – I think I got it. Yes, you were right, I was providing a work axis to AddByCurveAndEntity, but that was not the issue. The issue was the workpoint wPoint3. I have to refer to its “geometry” wPoint3.Point  - Here is the full method, which finally worked for me:

public void MMplaceNozzles(Inventor.PartDocument invPartDoc, Inventor.Application invApp)
{
    try
    {
        oTG = invApp.TransientGeometry;
        oMMCompDef = invPartDoc.ComponentDefinition;

WorkPlane oWPlane1 = oMMCompDef.WorkPlanes.AddByPlaneAndOffset(oMMCompDef.WorkPlanes["XY Plane"], 600, false);
        Inventor.Point ip2 = oTG.CreatePoint(0, 0, 600);
        WorkPoint wPoint2 = oMMCompDef.WorkPoints.AddFixed(ip2, false);
        WorkAxis oWax1 = oMMCompDef.WorkAxes.AddByTwoPlanes(oWPlane1, oMMCompDef.WorkPlanes["XZ Plane"]);
        WorkPlane oWPlane4 = oMMCompDef.WorkPlanes.AddByPlaneAndOffset(oMMCompDef.WorkPlanes["YZ Plane"], 1000, false);

ObjectsEnumerator fndObj;
        object locPnts;
        double rayRad = 0.01;
        SelectionFilterEnum[] objtypes = new SelectionFilterEnum[1];
        objtypes[0] = SelectionFilterEnum.kPartFaceFilter;
        fndObj = oMMCompDef.FindUsingVector(wPoint2.Point, oWax1.Line.Direction, ref objtypes, true, rayRad, true, out locPnts);

Face fc = null;
        foreach (object obj in fndObj)
        {
            fc = (Face)obj;
        }

WorkPoint wPoint3 = oMMCompDef.WorkPoints.AddByCurveAndEntity(oWax1, oWPlane4); // fine
        WorkPoint wPoint4 = oMMCompDef.WorkPoints.AddByCurveAndEntity(oWax1, fc, wPoint3.Point); // wPoint3.Point works fine
    }
    catch (Exception ex)
    {
        // log me
    }
}

Thank you for your support!

Kai

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report