Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent Project and Children Part Renaming

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
alyssaweaver
455 Views, 3 Replies

Parent Project and Children Part Renaming

Let me preface this by saying we do not use Vault.

So what I am trying to do is set up a way to rename a project, automatically rename the files within that project folder, and resolve the links. A batch file renamer does a third of the job, and some of the macros I’ve found online do another third of it, but none of what I’ve found does all three.

The goal is to NOT use DA to do this or Vault or to individually rename each file, as each project can contain dozens or even hundreds of parts.

So here’s what this might look like: I have a project folder, 100000. Within this project folder I have part files 100000-1.ipt, 100000-2.ipt, 100000-3.ipt, etc. all the way to 100000-60.ipt.

It turns out my project folder should have been named 100001. I can rename that with no problems. But now I need to rename my part files to 100001-1.ipt, 100001-2.ipt, 100001-3.ipt, etc. all the way up to 100001-60.ipt.

I can use a batch file renamer to change these part file names easily, but then I have resolve link problems with my assemblies (say 100001-61.iam and 10000-62.iam, which each contain some of these part files) and drawings. 

I don’t think there’s a macro out there that does this (at least not one I can find), but what I’m wondering is a) is it possible; and b) if so, are there some tools or links that can put me on the right track towards creating it? I’ve never used VBA before so I’m a little behind in that regard, but I’m willing to put in the time and effort to learn it and do it.

For reference, as this comes in to question frequently in these threads, we are using Inventor 2011.

Thank you in advance,

Alyssa Weaver

Best Wishes,
Ali

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
"It's a screwdriver, not a water pistol! What are you gonna do? Construct a cabinet at them?!"
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
alyssaweaver
in reply to: alyssaweaver

Quick correction. "say 100001-61.iam and 10000-62.iam" should read, "say 100001-61.iam and 10001-62.iam". My apologies.
Best Wishes,
Ali

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
"It's a screwdriver, not a water pistol! What are you gonna do? Construct a cabinet at them?!"
Message 3 of 4
YuhanZhang
in reply to: alyssaweaver

We have a sample tool to do similar task to udpate the referenced parts/assemblies' names and re-reference them to the draiwng. The tool is in Inventor SDK, please install the UserTools.msi(for Win7 it is in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor \SDK") first, and then you can find SDK\UserTools\CopyDesign, the CopyDesign tool can move andrawing and its referenced top assembly and its parts/sub-assemblies with changing the referenced files' names and re-reference them to the drawing. But the tool is very simple and can't satifiy what you request so you can change the source code and add more functions to it. Please let me if any more questions.

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 4
alyssaweaver
in reply to: YuhanZhang

Thanks Rocky, I saw that solution on a similar post from last year. I will start looking in to editing the source code for these purposes.
Best Wishes,
Ali

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report