Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Add-in Compatibility Between Versions

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
deanlupini
368 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor 2012 Add-in Compatibility Between Versions

Has anyone had problems running their Add-In across versions of Inventor 2012?

Mine will work fine in most versions, but exceptions come up in others.  I'm getting reports from people in France for example, or someone who's using a different service pack.  I wasn't able to verify each individual case, but it seems like some versions or configurations are causing the Add-In to throw exceptions when making certain API function calls.

I normally compile with my own version of the API dlls.  Should I include these dlls in the installer, or count on the Add-In to link to existing Inventor dlls?  Currently I include my version of the dll's, but I've tried both ways.

Anything else I might be missing?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Mike.Wohletz
in reply to: deanlupini

I have had no problems with multiple versions,  but I have no clue if some compatibility problems could happen when crossing language pack versions. 

Message 3 of 4
barbara.han
in reply to: deanlupini

deanlupini

what are the exception information? To detect what is wrong, we need to look at the error closely, because there are lots of errors existing during developming app. It may be caused by some parameters of functions are not settled well in some language version or configuration. The reason may be case-by-case. I think the error information will tell something, if you can catch that error.

Barbara Han
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 4 of 4
deanlupini
in reply to: barbara.han

I don't get a lot of information in the exception since I'm using C#.  Throughout development I only ever got vague messages from exceptions.  In this case, the message is "E_INVALIDARG".  I believe other exceptions caught with different versions said "Incorrect parameter".

Should I distribute the dll's I used to build the add-in, or should I allow my add-in to link to the current version of Inventor?  Could discrepancies between api dll versions cause these problems?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report