Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with screw thread designation (Inventor 2014)

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
6311 Views, 10 Replies

Help with screw thread designation (Inventor 2014)

My company has upgraded to the 2014 package and I have started customizing our drawing templates.  One thing I can't figure out is how to change the thread designation from fraction (3/8-16) to decimal (.375-16).  Has anybody done this????

Thanks,

Ricky

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can edit Thread.xls to change the designation

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

I have done this but Inventor still uses the fractional designation in the ipt/idw files.  Is there a setting in Inventor to change it from fractional to decimal???

Thanks,

Ricky

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

change the Custom Thread Designation on all the sheets of Thread.xls. then you will get the changed one when you use a hole / thread note in the drawing.

Message 5 of 11
miechh

I have a similar question. I just changed the custom thread designation of the ISO-metric threads to display only the M-number on placement in a part, instead of the M-number and pitch, at least for the regular/most used threads. This works. Next challenge was changing the tapered (NPT, BSP) threads to display the fractional size correctly. Now for example the hole-feature dialog displays1/4 in the Size-field and 1/4" NPT in the Designation-field (see attachment Threads_1.jpg), that's fine with me. But when I want to place a ANSI Unified Screw Thread-hole, the size field shows a decimal value instead of a fractional value (see attachment Threads_2.jpg). I tried to change the Size designation in the Thread.xls for frequently used threads to a fractional size, 7/8" instead of 0.875. But when opening the Size-pull-down field in the hole feature dialog, the modified sizes have disappeared. What am I doing wrong? Should I change ALL of the entries in the column "Size" (attachment Threads_3.jpg)?

Product Design Suite 2024
Inventor 2024 (v 28.20.27200.0000), Vault Basic 2024
Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Message 6 of 11
jletcher

Did you remember to change it in the IDW styles and Standards?

Do it for all dim styles...

Hole.JPG

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: miechh

You are not supposed to edit the size column of threads. If you want to show fraction you can add that in to the suffix column. and you can edit the custom thread Designation for hole / thread note. See attached for ref.

Message 8 of 11
miechh

Aha, I wasn't aware of the functionality of the Size Suffix column. Thanks! I guess this will do.

Product Design Suite 2024
Inventor 2024 (v 28.20.27200.0000), Vault Basic 2024
Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Message 9 of 11
JJdesigner
in reply to: miechh

I've been trying to get the inch symbol after the size (1/2"-13 UNC - 2B)) but I can't seem to get it to work.  I changed the value in the custom thread designation column to include the " symbol as shown in Thread_3.jpg in miechh's post, but instead of the symbol being added I get a number 1 in front of the fraction.  In case it matters I have set the fraction format to horizontal.  Another question, is there a way to get rid of the space between the number and the fraction?

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: JJdesigner

Please find the attachment, This works fine

Message 11 of 11
JJdesigner

Sorry, I neglected to mention that I have the fraction set to stacked horizontal. It works fine as you have shown when the fraction is set to not stacked. Any ideas?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report