Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form-want to change parameters of skeletal file then update assembly

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
867 Views, 3 Replies

Form-want to change parameters of skeletal file then update assembly

I have created a iLogic form for my skeletal part file that drives my assembly. The issues is that it is a few steps to get the assembly to update.

Current Steps:

1. open skeletal part file
  2. use form to change size parameters
  3. save new skeletal size changes
  4. open assembly
  5. press the update button if changes haven't already been applied

I have tried to link these parameters directly to the assembly and tried to create the form using those linked parameters from the skeletal part file. It looks like it would work, but I am unable to edit the parameters once the form is created. 

I am hoping that the I can skip opening and editing the skeletal part file

So the steps would be:

1. open assembly file
  2. use form to change size and dimensions, and all part files and drawings are updated to that new shape and size.

I have tried to create a global Form in the skeletal part file, and tried to update the size changes in the assembly file. 

I was able to changes the inputs this way, but once I pressed the apply I get an error with no changes.  

Anybody have some ideas? I'm sure inventor can do what I want but I am not very up to date on iLogic or these forms. I will be searching Google for now.

Thanks!!

Sean

Inventor Pro 2013

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

My main assembly is too large to attach so I made a smaller mock version of what I am trying to accomplish.

There is a frame.ipt file that controls the tube frame size.

The sheet metal panel parameters are linked to the tube frame parameters.

So once the frame.ipt is changed in size, the assembly then changes as well to fit.

My question is, I have a iLogic Form at the frame.ipt level to edit the dimensions, from there I can open the assembly and update it to incorporate those size changes.

Is there a way to use that iLogic Form as the assembly level, to change the frame.ipt and update all at once?

I personally have no issues doing it this way I have set up now. But my managers who don't know anything about CAD would find it confusing to adjust the size and shape. The forms make it so simple and easy looking. Clients love looking the different possible options. Once I get this part figured out, I will add in materials, colours, etc.etc..

Thanks again for any help!!

Sean

Inventor Pro 2013

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Had trouble adding uploading files, here is last 2 part files...

thanks

Sean

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

I spent the weekend searching iLogic courses and videos and for tips and tricks as to how I could accomplish what I was trying to do, and actually found a solution for those who are interested.

To start off, I owe the credit to this series of videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuo9dtxHV_o&list=PL71AE9E90F5AD8DCB&index=5

it is a series of 5 videos that explain pretty much exactly what I wanted to do. I came into the office this morning and applied the information from the videos to my assembly and now I have a form in my assembly that updates the parameters and changes to the assembly.

My issue was I was trying to use linked parameters and this wasn't working. I needed to export the parameters from my skeleton file and then import them into my assembly file. This then placed those parameters into the user parameters section and not the linked parameters section. Which gave me the "permissions" to allow a form to update them. 

Hope this helps someone out there.

Later

Sean

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report