Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging with VS2010 Express

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gerhick
441 Views, 3 Replies

Debugging with VS2010 Express

Hi all,

I feel like this question has probably been asked many times before, but I can't find a  solution.

I'm trying to debug an add-in with VS2010 Express. Now I understand that Express doesn't have built in capabilities to debug .dll add-ins, but I keep finding sites discussing (though not explaining) debugging with Express.

I've got the .dll registered (using INV2011) and I've modified the .vbproj.user file to make Inventor the startup project, and that works... Now all I need to figure out is how to get VS2010 to stop on break points, and display errors when they're hit.

Can anyone help out with this one?

Regards

PointZero Design and Drafting
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
philippe.leefsma
in reply to: gerhick

Hi Gerrard,

Sorry I don't have the Express version of VS2010 installed so I cannot test, but in the past all you needed to do was editing the .vbproj.user file as follow (of course with the appropriate path of Inventor.exe on your machine):

<Project xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">

<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|AnyCPU' ">

<StartAction>Program</StartAction>

<StartProgram>C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\Inventor.exe</StartProgram>

</PropertyGroup>

<PropertyGroup>

<ProjectView>ShowAllFiles</ProjectView>

</PropertyGroup>

</Project>

It was then possible to run Inventor from the debugger and use breakpoints. If the above suggestion doesn't help, then I'm affraid I don't have further advice, Microsoft may have added some extra limitation to VB.Express.

Regards,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Consultant
Developer Technical Services
Global Subscription & Support 

Autodesk EMEA

www.autodesk.com/joinadn

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 4
gerhick
in reply to: philippe.leefsma

Phillippe,

I've made those changes to the .vbproj.user file already, and it enables Inventor to open when I'm debugging, but it doesn't hit any break points or give me errors when things go wrong.

Thanks and Regards

PointZero Design and Drafting
Message 4 of 4
ADNpati
in reply to: philippe.leefsma

Hello my friend,

My VS2010 Express is not building .user  file.....

Please help me...

Mechanical Engineer
Inventor Applications Engineer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my solution seems to remedy your problem, please press the Accept Solution button, Some KUDOS -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report