Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an add-in that disables editing of templates etc.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
AlexFielder
306 Views, 1 Reply

Creating an add-in that disables editing of templates etc.

Hi all,

In the past 2 and a bit years I've written a couple of add-ins for Inventor and I feel I've learned a lot about how to control the interface etc.

One thing I'm particularly interested in implementing in the not-too-distant-future is an add-in that prevents users being able to modify/edit templates/styles without having the correct permissions and to notify me if/when they achieve this. Of course, the library can be locked down at the project level, but the ability to edit/fiddle with templates in newly created .idw files still remains despite this.

I also realise that add-ins can be disabled, so I am doubly curious as to whether that functionality can be "locked out" except for Inventor "administrators" or "superusers";

Would I simply need to capture the context menu event that starts the "Edit definition" command and then check whether the user has the appropriate permissions? (I have done some work that involved the UserInputEvents.OnContextMenu event so I am familiar with how to look for the event I need)

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Gruff
in reply to: AlexFielder

Writing an addin to control permissions seems like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer.

Network permission can be set one time and no one will be able to change styles or templates except for you wish to change them.

As far as locking down add_ins.  Unless you tell your users there is an add_in they generally will not know.  Especially if you name it something tame sounding.   "LockDown_Tool" would be a bad choice.  I have many seats of Networked Inventor Inventor that use a Dis-Allow Save or SaveAs Add_In I wrote.  Been there for a couple of years and no one knows that it is an Add_in.  I just tell them it is a different flavor of inventor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report