Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create each Part as a Layer Drawing

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
sgwilliams
458 Views, 4 Replies

Create each Part as a Layer Drawing

I have a question on Layers in an Assembly drawing. I would like the ability to have each component be a layer in an Assembly drawing. Currently if you want to add a part as a layer you have to pick each line and assign it a layer. It would be nice to have the ability to right click on a part from an Assembly drawing and select "Assign A Layer". Ultimately this would open a dialog for you to choose which layer you would like to use.

Assign a Layer.jpg

This may or may not already be requested on the wish list. If it was I did not see it.

Anyone know how to do this? Maybe with iLogic or VB. Create rule to add each part as a layer when you add a base view to a sheet.

Work Station : Custom built, Liquid Cooled, Asus Pro WS X570-ACE Motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor; ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition Video Card; 32 GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4-2132 Memory ; Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Drive.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi sgwilliams,

This link might be of interest:

http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/10/changing-drawing-curves-to-match-assembly-color.h...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5

Thanks Curtis! I do see this as being helpful, it points our coders in the right direction. I need layers labled as the Part number from the assembly and I also have all my components the color they need to be. If I used the code as is it would change all the colors to the appearance of the component.

Very good script, it works very quickly. I may have a use for this and will keep it in my script library as one to keep.

Work Station : Custom built, Liquid Cooled, Asus Pro WS X570-ACE Motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor; ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition Video Card; 32 GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4-2132 Memory ; Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Drive.
Message 4 of 5
adam.nagy
in reply to: sgwilliams

Hi,

Have just written a blog post on this:

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/manufacturing/2014/07/place-component-occurrences-on-separate-layers.h...

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 5 of 5
sgwilliams
in reply to: adam.nagy

Thanks a bunch Adam this is close enough to be an answer. The code is a good start , it is at least something that can be modified to achieve the end result. The layers do not need to be different colors they just need to exist so they can be turned them on and off as required.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report