Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Dimensions in DWG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
372 Views, 8 Replies

Controlling Dimensions in DWG

I have a template of a fully dimensioned drawing of a parametric part. I will update and open this drawing using VB. When I update the part from a small size to a large size the dimensions in the DWG are no longer neatly positioned or presentable. I was hoping that when I changed the scale of the base view to replicate the size of the original DWG the dimensions would realign themselves. Unfortunately this is not the case. Is there any way of accessing each dimension and centering them so that I can automatically produce presentable DWG's simply by updating my parametric model?

Any help greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If all you want to do is to maintain the centering of the dimension text when geometry changes, you can do the following: For R9 SP2: Set the following registry key: HKCU\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion9.0\Applets\DrawingLayout\Pre ferences\DrawingFormat MaintainRelativeDimTextPosition = 1 For R10: Set the drawing document setting "Dimension Text Alignment" to 'View Position and Maintain Centered'. If you need to do any more clean-up, the API provides the ability to set the dimension text position in R10. But I don't think it'll be easy to make the dimensions presentable. Sanjay- "596198818" wrote in message news:26742316.1111676500931.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have a template of a fully dimensioned drawing of a parametric part. I will update and open this drawing using VB. When I update the part from a small size to a large size the dimensions in the DWG are no longer neatly positioned or presentable. I was hoping that when I changed the scale of the base view to replicate the size of the original DWG the dimensions would realign themselves. Unfortunately this is not the case. Is there any way of accessing each dimension and centering them so that I can automatically produce presentable DWG's simply by updating my parametric model? > > Any help greatly appreciated.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks Sanjay. I'll give it a bash.
Message 4 of 9
Hank51111

hi there,
I have the same problem and found this thread when I did a search on this Discussion group. I did exactly what Sanjay instructed but I didn't get it to work. I just wondering what did I do wrong.

Thanks,
NewVBA
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Could you describe the problem you are facing in some more detail?

Sanjay-

wrote in message news:4887592@discussion.autodesk.com...
hi there,
I have the same problem and found this thread when I did a search on this
Discussion group. I did exactly what Sanjay instructed but I didn't get it
to work. I just wondering what did I do wrong.

Thanks,
NewVBA
Message 6 of 9
Hank51111

hi Sanjay,
Thank you for your reply. I set the MaintainRelativeDimTextPosition registry key to 1 and then I updated my part from small size to larger size. All dimensions that I placed on my template drawing for this part is no longer in neatly positioned. I tried to change couple registry keys in same DrawingFormat like DrawingSheetPrefix key to something different than "Sheet" and I didn't notice any differences.

Thank you,
NewVBA
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

I believe you need to set the value of the registry entry to 2 for what you
want.

If "MaintainRelativeDimTextPosition" = 0, Dim text maintains its position
relative to view

If "MaintainRelativeDimTextPosition" = 1, Dim text maintains its position
relative to view or maintain centered (if the dim text is centered)

If "MaintainRelativeDimTextPosition" = 2, Dim text maintains its position
relative to the dimension line (Percentage)

This is for Inventor 9 only and you will need to restart Inventor to for the
registry entry to take effect.

Sanjay-

wrote in message news:4889095@discussion.autodesk.com...
hi Sanjay,
Thank you for your reply. I set the MaintainRelativeDimTextPosition
registry key to 1 and then I updated my part from small size to larger size.
All dimensions that I placed on my template drawing for this part is no
longer in neatly positioned. I tried to change couple registry keys in same
DrawingFormat like DrawingSheetPrefix key to something different than
"Sheet" and I didn't notice any differences.

Thank you,
NewVBA
Message 8 of 9
Hank51111

Yes, It works exactly the way I want now. Thank you very much for your help. One more thing that I would like to ask that How can I know which inventor registry key to set to achieve some settings I want.

Thank you again,
NewVBA
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

There is no documentation on any of the registry key settings. So I'm afraid
there isn't an easy way.

Sanjay-

wrote in message news:4890869@discussion.autodesk.com...
Yes, It works exactly the way I want now. Thank you very much for your
help. One more thing that I would like to ask that How can I know which
inventor registry key to set to achieve some settings I want.

Thank you again,
NewVBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report