Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content for following Icon Design Guidelines??

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
noontz
1026 Views, 5 Replies

Content for following Icon Design Guidelines??

Hi...

I could use some help from anybody actually following the Icon Design Guidelines. 

The Icon Design Guidelines are really well explained, but trying to stay in line, I was wondering where the content might be hiding? If I want to use an approved Badge, e.g. "constraint", all the info I can find on this asset is a path on Brians local machine ( C:\Documents and Settings\ekinsb\Desktop\Icon Guidelines\Inventor icon design guideline 3.png ) and even possessing the adequate skills, I´m not sure it would be appropriate for me to go looking there Smiley Wink

Opening the pdf in photoshop, only the first page comes with embedded alphamapped images? 

Where else to look or what else to do??

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ekinsb
in reply to: noontz

It took me a while to figure out how you were seeing a full path to my machine. Smiley Happy

What you're seeing is the path of the original large image that I received from the product designer that put all of that information together.  I think he put the document together using Photoshop and gave me a .png file for each page.  I inserted them into a Word document and saved it as pdf.  In short, there aren't individual files for each of the icons you see there.  You can set the zoom factor of the pdf file to 100% and screen capture them.

Designing icons is harder than most people think and can end up taking (in many cases wasting) a lot of time.  Personally, I look for existing icons that are similar to what I want, either in Inventor or online, copy it, and make edits for my specific use.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 6
noontz
in reply to: ekinsb

Hi Brian..

Thx for your quick reply!  Thing is you can´t extract the rgba values from those pages by just screencapturing, so it will take a LOT of work and guessing to match the original antialiasing.. Why not just publish the original graphics with the SDK, so it´s a "walk in the park" for any graphics designer to follow the guidelines and reuse the badges, bases and example accents..? Sure autodesk must be interested in a more consistent interface.  As a temporary solution just attach a containing zip file to his post, and anybody who would actually wan´t to follow the guidelines will find it Smiley Happy

BTW..  Nice background picture on your desktop Smiley Surprised 

just kiddin

Message 4 of 6
ekinsb

It sounds simpler than it is. The various icons (in the ribbon and on dialog) in Inventor are in many different files and the various add-ins also have their icons, and all of these are potentically added to or modified each release. To somehow package these up and catalog them just wasn't something where the benefit seemed to justify the cost.

A lot of the images are still using icon files so theres only full transparency and are easy to use with a screen capture.  You're correct that those that use rgba aren't as easy to use.  I wish I had a better answer for you but that is the current state of affairs.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 5 of 6
noontz
in reply to: ekinsb

Ok.. Thanks for your reply..  Back to photoshop 😉

Message 6 of 6
Dale.Bartlett

Any update? Developer's Autodesk UI Collection? Dale

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums