Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compoennt Name on Assembly Browser

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Kris_Inv2013
456 Views, 1 Reply

Compoennt Name on Assembly Browser

Hi there,

I have come across something interesting and I thought it might be relevant for others too.

I use Inventor 2013 as a single user, my company is about to invest in Vault and we are about to introduce a new automated Part Numbering Scheme as well.

I use a spreadsheet and iLogic rules as ‘Product Configurator’ to generate new iterations of my master assembly.

Now, the Assembly Browser in Inventor may display my assembly tree and its components by Part No or File Name or Default Browser Nod. See attached image.

This can be selected and set on the ribbon: click Assemble tab Productivity panel Rename Browser Nodes.

Here come the interesting bits.

For example at Top Level Assy I have a rule to run other rules in components. Should I change the displayed components names on the Assy Tree the rules loose reference. So they wouldn’t run.

(for example:    iLogicVb.RunRule("PANEL ASSY 2ndS:1", "Tie Rods & Washer Plates 2ndS")

PANEL ASSY 2ndS:1 is a component with a rule in it "Tie Rods & Washer Plates 2ndS"

This is the default Browser Nod Name and it could also be

-          AAA-0111 --> Part No

-          PANEL ASSY 2ndS.iam:1  --> File name

-          PANEL ASSY 2ndS:1 --> Default

I suppose this can be avoided by not changing from Default, but what an inconvenience should we have to.

Unless if there is an other way to reference our components in iLogic?

Woud be interesing to hear views on thisone.

Regards,

Kris

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

You may associate an attribute with ComponentOccurrence object.

Using AttributeManager.FindObjects method

it is easy to find any Inventor object by attribute previously associated with this object. 

This naming scheme is absolutely independent from any names in UI.

While end-user has no access to attributes  you have

to develop your own interface to create and attach attributes to components.

For more information please refer:

Introduction to Attributes

http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/07/introduction-to-attributes.html

Attribute Utility

http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/09/attribute-utility.html

Vladimir Ananyev
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums