Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot load an .IVB file -> Inventor chrashes

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ChrisVandeVoorde
869 Views, 8 Replies

Cannot load an .IVB file -> Inventor chrashes

Hello, 

I can't open my latest programming work to an .IVB file. 

I was working on it this morning. Afterwards I saved and restarted Inventor but since then Inventor will chrash immidiatly on startup.

I have reverted the .IVB file to an earlier version and Inventor works just fine again.

1) What is causing this problem? If had this already a few times. Is my .ivb file to large? Badly build? ...

2) how can I retrieve the programming that I have done this morning? Because I can't load the corrupt .ivb file with chrashing Inventor.

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Have you tried restarting your computer? Mine freaks out sometimes and I just restart the whole thing...

Regarding retrieving your file...

Did you save it before it started crashing? That will determine which route you can take to get it back

Did you revert the whole computer or just the file?

What exactly is your program doing? How much memory is left in the drive you saved it to? What kind of graphics card are you using? How much memory do you have allocated for Inventor to use? This could be caused by any number of things...

Best Wishes,
Ali

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
"It's a screwdriver, not a water pistol! What are you gonna do? Construct a cabinet at them?!"
Message 3 of 9
pball
in reply to: ChrisVandeVoorde

This problem seems to be around more lately. I posted a response to someone else with the same issue in the general inventor section.

Quick summary, do you have 2014 SP1 or newer, if so try uninstalling the service pack and load your script up. Then export all parts of it and import them into a new ivb project file and update inventor again. This fixed my crashing issue since it appeared inventor corrupted the ivb file and only sp1 or newer crashes when you load that ivb file.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Inventor-VBA-File-crashes-IV-instantly/td-p/4945798
Message 4 of 9

@ alyssaweaver

Restarting the computer didn't help.

I have saved the .ivb file correctly. So it should be fine.

I always make a new version of the .ivb when I start programming. So I just took a previous version to work on for now.

The program has nothing to do with the startup, Where it causes it to crash. On all other points my computer is completely equipped for running Inventor correctly.

@ pBall

I'm glad i'm not the only one. Hopefully this get fixed in a next release of Inventor.

I will test your solution and report back here.

Message 5 of 9

Sadly enough the issue is indeed within Inventor 2014 SP 1 (Updates 1, 2 ,3 don't matter).

I have reverted back to Inventor 2014. Without any service pack installed and now I can open my .ivb files again. 

Autodesk. Please solve this issue

Message 6 of 9
pball
in reply to: ChrisVandeVoorde

Well it sucks this is an issue, but it's nice to know it's not just me that is having this issue. I'm going to try and get a hold of the person who was supposed to be looking into this issue and see if Autodesk will accept it as an issue.

If you want to file a report on this issue here a good link to use, I've had feedback most of the time I've submitted things here. Not always ended up with fixes though.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 7 of 9
pball
in reply to: pball

Well apparently Autodesk/Microsoft know of this issue. Here is the response I ended up getting from an Autodesk employee.

"I learned that Autodesk has been working with Microsoft to solve this crash. I do not have a workaround at this time."
Message 8 of 9
pball

Sorry for all the posts, but I can't edit my previous one.

ChrisVandeVoorde, do you have your VBA project file stored on your computer or a network? I have mine on a network drive and I'm going to try and see if moving it local does anything.
Message 9 of 9
ChrisVandeVoorde

I have a copy locally and a copy on the server. They always crash.

For now I just stick with the older version of Inventor 2014.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report