Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apprentice server as service

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
joerituijn
520 Views, 2 Replies

Apprentice server as service

Hi, I'm trying to run apprentice in a service application in windows 7-64b but I'm running into a problem. When the service tries to start apprentice, it fails with a FileNotFoundException:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {C343ED84-A129-11D3-B799-0060B0F159EF} failed due to the following error: 8007007e.

The service is set to run as 32 bit, but it still fails. It worked with IV2011 and older, but it doesn't work with 2012. Have I overlooked something?

FYI: If I run the service as a normal application, everything works just fine.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
FRPT1257
in reply to: joerituijn

Hi joerituijn,

Did you get same solution for this problem?

Thanks & Regards,

Rui

Message 3 of 3
rjay75
in reply to: FRPT1257

I think the main problem with using Apprentice from a service is Apprentice wasn't written to run in the restricted environments of services. But this is more of a Windows issue than Apprentice issue. 

There are ways to do though.

Here's an older article discussing it. Launching an interactive process from Windows Service in Windows Vista and later

This should give you a better starting point. One issue is that with each release of Windows services and security is getting tighter so there are more restrictions, trust issues, and permissions associated with things services can and can't do.

It may be a better option to split your app to a service that does the monitoring you want and a portion that runs from the desktop environment that communicates with the service.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report