Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animating sweep length using parameter

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
best_industry
1081 Views, 6 Replies

Animating sweep length using parameter

Hi. I'm currently trying to figure out how do I animate a sweep feature (changing the length over time) using the parameter feature.
The reason for doing so is to show fluid flow in a pipe.

Many thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Message 3 of 7
VdVeek
in reply to: best_industry

I'm trying to write this down, and when i have the time i create a Chronicle video. But see the attached part en image for more information.

Changing the sweep length directly is not possible but there is a way to do this. when you create a split on the sweep and animate the position of the split-plane you can animate the sweep length.

• First create the line you want to sweep
  • Second create a sketch where you offset the first sweepline.
  • Place workpoints at the begin of both sweeplines.
  • Create a User parameter "Distance" and mark this as Export Parameter. This paramter you use in the animation to change the sweep length.
  • Use the Rectangular Pattern to pattern both workpoints, use the first (sweep) line as the direction and choose the "Distance" parameter as distance.
    For a test: when you change "Distance" the 2 patterend workpoints should move allong the sweepline.
  • Now place a Plane across the 2 workpoints that are patterned and give it an angle of 90deg of a basic work plane (See part for more info on this). This plane must be right-angled to the sweepline
  • Create a sweep from the first sketch line and a sketch right-angled to the sweepline. This is the total sweep.
  • The final model step is to Split the Sweep feature by trim solid and use the workplane as Split tool.
  • When you change the "Distance" parameter the sweep length changes.
  • In the animation environment Animate "Distance" by giving the minimal and maximale value.

I hope this story makes sense, examine the part for more information.

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional & Autodesk Inventor 2012 Certified Professional.
Message 4 of 7
VdVeek
in reply to: VdVeek

I created a video for better understanding.

Animated Sweep Video

Rob.

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional & Autodesk Inventor 2012 Certified Professional.
Message 5 of 7
VdVeek

I created a Chronicle video to show the steps for animating a sweep.

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/7f5f09c5-6fa0-4a5e-ac8c-038c8d0ce4f3

Rob.

Message 6 of 7
best_industry

Thank you so much VdVeek

Message 7 of 7
teunisc
in reply to: best_industry

In case someone on this thread is interested, I found a way to recreate this process for a 3D sketch to allow the sweep length paramenter to lead in all three dimensions. I basically followed these steps.

1. Create my 3D sketch
  2. Create a workplane on one of the ends
  3. Place a 2D sketch on this plane and created the shape I wanted to sweep
  4. Create a workpoint on the same point where the 3D sketch and 2D sketch intersect. We will call this Workpoint 1. 
  5. Pattern the work point along the path calling the length "sweeplength" which will be my driven parameter. (to do this you mush select "distance on the drop down bar, expand the window below by clicking the >> button, click on Start and select Workpoint 1.  The patterned point will be Workpoint 2. 
  6. Create another pattern of this point alont the path following the same steps but with distance sweeplength+1. This will be Workpoint 3.
  7. Create a work axis between Workpoint 2 and Workpoint 3. This axis should remain tangent to the 3D path as you change sweeplength. 
  8. Create a work plane normal to the work axis. 
  9. Sweep 2D profile along the 3D sketch path
  10. Select "Split" in the Modify menu. 
  11. Follow the same steps as the video posted earlier in this thread. 

Hope this helps someone. Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report