Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addin options - differences between DLL and EXE

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
NachitoMax
280 Views, 0 Replies

Addin options - differences between DLL and EXE

Hi

Seeing as API help is like finding gold dust, I thought I'd try and get a bit of advice from here.......... It is quite clear that there are large differences on code between an exe and a dll. Theoretically, code is code but how it gets compiled / read seems to create differences and there isn't any documentation to describe them. I have found that potentially, an exe needs to be marshaled on the connection and a dll does not. I have a series of questions is like to ask and if everyone who had a bit of knowledge replied, I'm sure addins could get easier for everyone. We are ALL here to learn and everyone is trying-

If you are making a connection to inventor, why do you have to make a connection with each routine? If I have a routine that calls say, 3 other routines, each routine has to make a connection and I have to create the objects for each connection. (Let's say it's a drawing document)

Does a dll have a different connection to inventor vs an exe version bearing in mind that autodesk documentation code shows code for an exe?

Why does an exe convert an integer to a double ok but a dll can't even though the code hasn't changed?

Are there different coding methods between a dll and an exe?

Creating ribbons
Is there a tool for this? I'm thinking about making one. I made on for ms access and it worked ok. It's just a case of getting the right objects

Getting ready for deployment
There isn't any documentation for this. When you want to make the installer-
what do you need?
What is used?
How do you register referenced dll's
How you make sure the install paths are correct? Let's say for example, the path for the .addin file based on the OS of the machine
How can security be implemented? Trial versions / full versions

I have had nothing but trouble with dll's so I have temporarily opted for a different method. I have-
Created a dll that connects to inventor and creates the ribbon buttons I need
The buttons on the ribbon call the exe that works which opens and allows me to use the tools I have created. This actually makes it easier because you can refine your project and rebuild it without needing to close inventor and re-open it.

If everyone can ask questions and as they pick up knowledge along with those who know, put it back here, then everyone can better understand addins and how to create them properly.

Hopefully people will read / ask and answer 🙂

Nigel

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report