Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add In NOOB. Trying to get an add-in to show up using Visual basic 2008 express

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ewcler
575 Views, 6 Replies

Add In NOOB. Trying to get an add-in to show up using Visual basic 2008 express

I followed the instructions in Brian Ekins' instructions.  http://modthemachine.typepad.com/files/VBAtoAddIn.pdf

It all worked well until I tried looking for the add-in in Inventor.

Page 6:

"Congratulations, you’ve just created an Add-In. Click the Build AUAddIn command (or the name or your Add-In) in the Build menu. Once it’s finished building, start Inventor and look in the Add-In Manager where you should see your Add-In in the list."  

I am running Windows XP64.  Let me know what you think!

Eddie Cler
Paul's Machine & Welding Corp.
Dell Precision T3600- Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz 32GB Ram - Nvidia Quadro 4000 Windows 7
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ekinsb
in reply to: ewcler

The problem is that you're running on a 64-bit system.  Visual Studio is registering the add-in as a 32-bit add-in so Inventor isn't finding it.  I need to do a bit of research to see how/if you can tell visual studio to register it for 64-bit.  It's easy to register it yourself from the command window for 64-bit.  Here's the line to register a 32-bit add-in.

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\RegAsm.exe /codebase AddInName.dll

and here's the line to register a 64-bit add-in.

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\RegAsm.exe /codebase AddInName.dll

The difference being that the RegAsm for the 64-bit version is in the Framework64 directory.  If you manually register your add-in, my guess is that it will now show up in the add-in manager.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 7
ewcler
in reply to: ekinsb

Thanks Brian, 

I tried registering the Add-In manually

I went to Start > Run, and entered the following line:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Re gAsm.exe /codebase AUAddIn.dll

As you suspected, the addin did not show up in the Inventor Add-In list.  

Eddie Cler
Dell Precision T3600- Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz 32GB Ram - Nvidia Quadro 4000 Windows 7
Message 4 of 7
ekinsb

@ewcler wrote:

Thanks Brian, 

I tried registering the Add-In manually

I went to Start > Run, and entered the following line:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Re gAsm.exe /codebase AUAddIn.dll

As you suspected, the addin did not show up in the Inventor Add-In list.  

Did you mean to say that it "did show up" rather than "did not show up"?

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 5 of 7
ewcler
in reply to: ekinsb

It did not show up in the add in manager.  I attached a screen shot for reference.  I see how my response was confusing.  

Eddie Cler
Message 6 of 7
Fzigunov

I'm sorry to revive this topic, but I'm having the same issue. Can't figure out how to make inventor recognize my add-in.

Using Inventor 2010, VB.Net 2008 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits.

Already tried registering with Regasm.exe in /Framework64/ but it didn't work.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando,

"Cooling & Freezing"  Carton Freezers and Industrial Refrigeration

Message 7 of 7
Fzigunov
in reply to: Fzigunov

Duh, figured it out 😃

**** newbie error!

It is in fact very easy, just don't forget to include full path name when registering.

RegAsm.exe \codebase "C:\Program Files\xxxx\YourAddIn.dll"

OK, I'm very sorry to have revived this topic and a few minutes later, discovering by myself the solution, but it seems to me that asking the question by itself makes my brain work better and find the answer easier.

Thanks anyway, you may delete my posts if you like.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums