Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vbextras_standard.msi path not found in C3d 2012 deployment

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mike.weiler
852 Views, 4 Replies

vbextras_standard.msi path not found in C3d 2012 deployment

I am trying to get a deployment created that can be pushed out for Civil 3d 2012. When I run the deployment it stops with a error that it cannot find the install path for vbextras_standard.msi. It pops up a dialog box to allow you to try and browse to it yourself, then try again. The path it has listed in the dialog box is c:\9dd9367c47c0ab2985286e29a678\. When you hit the browse button it defaults you to this location C:\85d9e24e2bf0706dd1cd3bf65360\ where you see the missing file. You click on it and continue with the C3d install that then completes successfully.

The found location is obviously a temporary installation folder created during the deployment to install this program. My issue is that I can't push out a deployment that stops part way through asking for a file location. It is a standard network deployment created from the software's digital download with no extra customization. I even created another standard deployment from the DVD media just in case there was some kind of corruption in the digital download. Both give me the same error during the deployment.

I don't know if there is a way to modify the deployment script and point the vbextras_standard.msi install to the proper temporary installation location or if there is a .ini file that can change with the same result. Maybe that is not the proper way to do it but I am looking for other suggestions here. There is not a SP1 out yet for C3d 2012 and the hotfixes out do not pertain to a issue like this from what I can tell.

I have searched the web and Autocad support sites and have found only a few references to this same issue with no resolution to the problem. One post I did read said that is was a failure of the Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 to install correctly. What I have read on that install of MVBPP 3.0 is that you need .NET 2.0 installed and I am installing C3d on a Win7 Enterprise 64bit workstation that has .NET 4 on it already.

I have reviewed the log files looking for clues on what could be the issue to no avail. If I can't get this deployment to run without user interaction it will not be good. I really can't go old school on this deployment and manually install it for all our users. That just is not a option anymore. Any help with this is appreciated. If you need more information, let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jmacpherson
in reply to: mike.weiler

Just ran into the same problem here. Seems to be a view people looking at this thread, but no solutions! If anybody discovers anything, post-up!

Message 3 of 5
mike.weiler
in reply to: jmacpherson

What I have found out so far is that it seems to be a problem when Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 is already installed on the computer. When I do a deployment of C3d2012 on a computer with no previous versions of C3d on it, it installs fine. If I already have C3d2011 on the computer, I will get the error (because Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 is already on the computer and the deployment is trying to upgrade it).

I figured that out when I downloaded Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 install package from Microsoft's website and tried to install just that on a computer with C3d2011 already there. I got the same error as I did during the deployment of C3d2012. The "Ah Ha" moment had finally come. After I got the Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 installed (upgraded) on that computer, I ran the C3d2012 deployment on it and installed it with no problems.

What I am planning to do since we are upgrading all our C3d2011 workstations to C3d2012 is to update (push out using MS System Center) the Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 first and after that has installed, deploy C3d2012. I have not done that yet, but figure it will work. I will reply back if that is all successful.

I just realized that I have not tried uninstalling the Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 first and then do the C3d2012 deployment. That may also work but I need to test it. It could be simpler than trying to do the update. My only issue with that is all the computers are currently in use doing production work and I don't know what kind of issues uninstalling that software may cause. It could take a day or two make sure it has been uninstalled from all the computers because we have laptops as well that are not always on the network.

I hope this helps some of you with this issue or at least gives you a place to start anyway...

Message 4 of 5
jnelson1071
in reply to: mike.weiler

We are trying to get a deployment out and this is the only post that I found that puts a finger on the problem. You mentioned that you would re-post on the uninstall first option prior to the deployment. What was the results of that and what did you end up doing to resolve the issue?
Message 5 of 5
mike.weiler
in reply to: jnelson1071

The solution we used was to write a CMD script and use msiexec to remove the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219. We then took registry keys for the installation paths of both the VB power pack and Faro SDK from the C3D2011 install and used the same script to write them in. Then installed the vbextras_standard.msi file. After that, C3D installed successfully. Here are the scripts we used:

Rem - Pre Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 Reg Clean up, VS C++ 2010 SP1 removal.
Rem - -----------------------------------------------------------------------
:RemoveVs10
msiexec.exe /x {F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5} /qn /norestart
msiexec.exe /x {1D8E6291-B0D5-35EC-8441-6616F567A0F7} /qn /norestart

regedit /s MVBPp3AutoCad12RegFixHKLM.reg

REM Call to Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 install file

msiexec.exe /i vbextras_standard.msi /qn

exit

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{7B4D193B-D76D-308B-8B12-5D9BB1CBCE6C}]
"InstallSource"="\\\\servername\\deploy_root$\\MicrosoftVisualBasicPowerPacks3\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{951B0F30-9F1A-4BF6-B3DA-99EB0E917B1C}]
"InstallSource"="\\\\servername\\Software\\Autodesk\\C3D2011\\Deploy\\AdminImage\\support\\FaroSDK\\"

I hope this helps you resolve your issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report