Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to install where I want to in windows 7

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
neighborlee
717 Views, 9 Replies

unable to install where I want to in windows 7

Hi there,

I want to install to program files, where all my apps are, but softimage mod tool 7.5 refuses to let me due to 'spaces' in words, so I was wondering is there no way to get around this ?

I really find it disturbing to have to place apps all over computer, but grouping them is much more logical and easier to remember where everything is 😉

cheers

nl

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
TravisNave
in reply to: neighborlee

Are you sure you are trying to install it and not just extract the installer?  You might provide a screen cap of the error.  Seems odd to me.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 10
neighborlee
in reply to: TravisNave

This is during install stage, after uncompressing was finished, and please see attached picture showing that.

I tried running as admin but to no effect.

thanks

nl

Message 4 of 10
TravisNave

Are you just trying to install in the default location or did you change anything?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 10
neighborlee

I just prefer not to use default DIR, which is c:\autodesk, and instead use program files/blah, where I install all apps to keep things nice and tidy.

thx

nl

Message 6 of 10
TravisNave

You're going to have to change Windows 7 security settings then because you cannot do this by default. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 10
neighborlee

Tha'ts why I was asking, because I have many apps installed there that obviously did not give me any installer errors. If it was a UAC issue ( security), then none would install there.

Is this a knonw issue with softimage MOD tool 7.5 installer ? (32bit)

thx

nl

Message 8 of 10
TravisNave

This behavior is by design as part of Microsoft's Windows security starting with Vista.  If the installer was not created with this in mind, then it is unlikely going to work.  That is why many programs use their own folder in the interim process.  For you to be able to install to the Program Files (x86) folder, you would have to disabled UAC and elevate your privileges to administrator.  There's no reason for it to absolutely be installed under Program Files (x86) except for your own preference.  I would recommend installing it to the default location as it was intended, personally.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 10
afif90

you hard disk space is enough for do the installation?? make sure HDD space is enough

Thank You&Best Regards,
Autodesk Reseller Malaysia
Mohd Afif
Message 10 of 10
neighborlee
in reply to: afif90

It is plenty, I am positive of that, showing free space under c: is 348GB.

I honestly think its just a flawed installer, given maybe the 'base' used is before vista's time and they aren't getting in a sweat to fix it 😉

I just don't like being forced to install something in plainjane cluttered places, when I know my system will indeed allow it in program files ( from many other successful installs before this one ). Makes me wonder a bit about the rest of the program if it can't handle a simple install to a existing directory where other apps had no troubles with.

Thank you for at least giving my issue some credence 😉

cheers

lee

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report