Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to install...hanging on CHECKING LICENSE

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
cadman33619
3383 Views, 9 Replies

trying to install...hanging on CHECKING LICENSE

I've done plenty of research and seen many posts regarding this issue...with other versions of acad as well. i've tried many, many solutions but none have worked. 

THE PROBLEM:

during the initial startup of autocad 2014, it hangs on CHECKING LICENSE. it just never gets past that point. i know its not my internet connection. the only thing i have not done is uninstall and reinstall...thats because the installation took me literally HOURS. 

i made the mistake of purchasing the Education suite...that contains 8 installation CDs (with about 20 autodesk programs).....and no installation instructions. i started with CD number 1, which took forever to load/extract files, then it prompts for the next CD ...then the next, and so on. i certainly don't need all these programs but i dont see a way to install just autocad 2014. 

anyway, when it gets stuck on CHECKING LICENSE...all i can do is force the pc to shut down. not even task manager will kill the process. h\i'm hoping someone can help. Thanks so much

here is what i have:

Dell inspiron 1720

3GB ram

windows 7 ultimate sp1

bios ver A09

intel core 2 duo t5250 @ 1.5 ghz

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Darin.Green
in reply to: cadman33619

Cadman,

This could happen when checking for a license but couldn't find the server or license on the server specified. If that is the case, you may have a dialog box opened in the background asking you to specify a license server. When the application hangs at "Checking License", use Alt+Space Bar to find the hidden window and move it to a location where you can see it.

If it's not a hidden window, disable your antivirus application and try launching the application agin.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 3 of 10
dembkod

cadman33619,

Hello.

In the Windows Run box type “Services.msc” and press Enter. Search for a “Flexnet” entry and if you find one or two, make sure they are started.

Next, are you running Internet explorer 10 or 11? If so, roll back to 9.

In the Windows Control Panel, go to Programs and Features

Click Turn Windows features on or off

Uncheck the Internet Explorer 10 box and click "OK". Let the process run

After the system finishes processing, reboot the machine

In the Windows Control Panel, go to Programs and Features

Click "View Installed Updates"

Locate the update for Internet Explorer 10 and select it and click "Uninstall" at the top of the screen.

Let the process complete and reboot.

You could also delete the TSF.data file. It will resemble this: ADSKFLEX_NUMBERS_TSF.data. It should be located here:

Windows XP:

Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet

Vista/Windows 7:

C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet

Find this file and delete it and start the program, it may help.

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 4 of 10
cadman33619
in reply to: dembkod

i appreciate the responses. unfortunately none of the solutions worked. 

first i checked to see if there was a window in the background as Darin suggested...but there were none.

next i followed the steps outlined by David.....still no effect.

the only thing i was not able to do was delete the TSF.data file because i do not have the C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet directory. i did a search but found nothing. i'm at a loss. i really need to get autocad working...i'm losing lots of time.

if had not purchased the education suite software, i would try reinstalling autocad.....but i'll have to go thru all 8 CDs just to try and install autocad because it gives me no other options. it didnt even come with installation instructions. i would love to know how to just install autocad and nothing else. 

please help me figure this out. 

thanks for your help so far

Message 5 of 10
cadman33619

would it be possible for someone to explain how to install JUST autocad? instead if installing all 8 CDs of software (which is over 124 GB)? all i need is autocad but when i insert disc 1 it extracts then asks for the next disc..then the next... and so on. after they are all done extracting, it does not open the installer automatically as it should. i had to search for the installation files and pretty much guess at which one is the correct one for autocad.
Message 6 of 10
Darin.Green

Download AutoCAD trial version and use the serial number and product key you received from Autodesk.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-autocad/free-trial

Thanks,

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 7 of 10
cadman33619
in reply to: Darin.Green

That worked for me...looks like the Education suite did me no good.

thanks so much
Message 8 of 10
jason.dupree

I just had this issue with a client using AutoCAD 2015, so I'm posting in all the forums with the issues, in case anyone else runs across the same thing.

This happened after installing 2017 (which I believe installs Microsoft .NET 4.6) but they claimed the checking license issue had been happening for a couple of weeks. I tried deleting the files in the Flexnet folder, but it did not help. I mention .NET because I tried doing a Repair on AutoCAD from the Windows Control Panel and it gave me an error saying .NET 4.5 was not installed. Turns out 4.6 was installed.

I uninstalled .NET 4.6, downloaded and installed .NET 4.5, ran the Repair, then AutoCAD ran fine. 

Jason Dupree
Senior Consultant - ECAD, Inc.
Message 9 of 10
jason.dupree
in reply to: jason.dupree

I just had this issue with a client using AutoCAD 2015, so I'm posting in all the forums with the issues, in case anyone else runs across the same thing.

This happened after installing 2017 (which I believe installs Microsoft .NET 4.6) but they claimed the checking license issue had been happening for a couple of weeks. I tried deleting the files in the Flexnet folder, but it did not help. I mention .NET because I tried doing a Repair on AutoCAD from the Windows Control Panel and it gave me an error saying .NET 4.5 was not installed. Turns out 4.6 was installed.

I uninstalled .NET 4.6, downloaded and installed .NET 4.5, ran the Repair, then AutoCAD ran fine.   

Jason Dupree
Senior Consultant - ECAD, Inc.
Message 10 of 10
jamil1857

This worked for me. 

When installing make sure your internet connection is disabled, a tab should come up asking you to enter your license details or start a trial. Connect back to the internet when the page asks you to and choose whichever installation option you want.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report