Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system requirements using network license redundant server.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
DPMITsupport
375 Views, 4 Replies

system requirements using network license redundant server.

I am gradually in the process of installing a new server running Microsoft Small Business Server 2008.   This system will eventually have server failover and the backup server will take over all functions including handling of our 11 seat license.           Can the license manager take over license handling if the main server is dead.     If so has anyone done this ?   What are the hardware/software requirements  I need to address before embarking on this project please. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
DarrenP
in reply to: DPMITsupport

In the redundant license server model, you use three servers to authenticate a single license file. One server acts as the master, while the other two provide backup if the master server fails. With this configuration, licenses continue to be monitored and issued as long as at least two servers are still functional. The license file on all three servers is the same. You must install the Network License Manager on each server.

In the redundant license server model, all servers must reside on the same subnet and have consistent network communications. (Slow, erratic, or dial-up connections are not supported.)

Advantage of the Redundant License Server Model

• If one of the three servers fails, all licenses that are managed in the server pool are still available.

Disadvantages of the Redundant License Server Model

• If more than one server fails, no licenses are available.
  • All three servers must reside on the same subnet and have reliable network communications. The redundant server pool does not provide network fault tolerance.
  • If one of the three servers is replaced, the complete redundant server pool must be rebuilt.
  • If your Autodesk product supports license borrowing and licenses are borrowed from a redundant license server pool, you must restart the license server after you stop the Network License Manager

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
TravisNave

I would highly recommend avoiding the redundant model system as outlined by Darren above.  As you can see the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.  In fact, there really aren't any advantages.  The redundancy simply comes from the amount of work required to put and keep the system in place. 

Since you can install and license a new server within a few minutes, I wouldn't put too much worry into it.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 5
DPMITsupport

Thanks for the response, I agree with the simple answer of installing the license manager on whatever server takes over should the main server fail.    It is my understanding the problem with this is the license file itself as I'm of the understanding that the license file is tailored to one NIC.   Can I get a license file tailored to the main server Nic and the backup server NIC ?   That way I could install license server on both servers and only run it on the main server.   Should that server go down I could just run the license manager on the backup server and its NIC would be recognized.         Neat user friendly concept but is it too simplistic.  Is the software friendly enough ?

Message 5 of 5
TravisNave

You won't be able to get more than one license file for the amount of licenses you own.  You can set up a new NLM server and get it back up and running in just a few minutes.  My record is 12 seconds. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report