Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

switch admin image to silent install

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
JamesMaeding
8815 Views, 9 Replies

switch admin image to silent install

I made civil 3d admin images, and did check silent install.

They do not install silently, but do have correct info shown.

I went to modify them and the dialog shows they are supposed to be silent.

Is it possible to force them to be silent by editing the ini file for the image?

I did click through the non-silent install and it worked, but i have 60 of these to do remotely.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Please check the shortcut created for the deployment.

It should be similar to this

\\servername\sharename\AdminImage\Setup.exe /qb /I \\servername\sharename\deploymentname.ini /language en-us

If you replace "/qb" with "/q" it should be silent

\\servername\sharename\AdminImage\Setup.exe /q /I \\servername\sharename\deploymentname.ini /language en-us

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 10
JamesMaeding
in reply to: JamesMaeding

ok, that worked, thanks a bunch.  I would call the fact that the admin image creation did not do this for me, a bug.

On another subject, since I got someone who knows their stuff, how do you recommend I do the remote installs?

What we used to do was make a simple batch file, that had a start /wait dos command, then the install exe and its params.

like this:

start /wait "LDT 2006" "\\uttu\Caddinstall\A2006_Setup\Land Desktop Network\AdminImage\deploy.exe" "Land Desktop Network"

We put the wait param in there because we also used the batch to install raster design and do other things that needed the install to finish first.

Then, in acad 2008 I think, that wait param stopped working, as the install seemed to be firing several processes that fooled the batch file into thinking it was done when it was not.

So we switched to having the batch file call a vbscript that had a watcher loop to really catch when an install was done.

The batch file now has:

wscript "\\Uttu\Caddinstall\A2012_Setup\+Install Batches\VB Scripts\C3D.vbs"

and the vbscript has this code:

On Error Resume Next
Dim WshShell, oExec, FSO
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
'Install
Set oExec = WshShell.Exec("\\uttu\Caddinstall\A2012_Setup\Civil 3D Network\AdminImage\setup.exe /q /I \\uttu\Caddinstall\A2012_Setup\Civil 3D Network\AdminImage\Civil 3D Network.ini")
Do While oExec.Status = 0
     WScript.Sleep 9000
Loop
'With 2009 we have to wait...
Dim isActive
isActive = true
Do Until isActive = false
   isActive = WshShell.AppActivate("Installation Progress")
   WScript.Sleep 1000
Loop

Now, that works, but it seems a bit convoluted that I have to do this.

How does the rest of the world do installs on many machines, but not through group policy or other fancy IT methods that need top level admin access?

Hopefully the code posted will be useful to those who ran things by hand, at least i show how you can put the install in a batch file so other things can also be run after.

thanks

Message 4 of 10

if you read the sccm part of the documentation you will see the /W switch which will make the calling program to wait till whole process is finished

so you could add /W to the command line

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 10

sccm, what does that stand for?

is the /w a param for the doc start command, or do you mean another param for the install image?

if its for the image, then that is great, I do want to read what you say, just checking which docs you mean.

Message 6 of 10

this is the document (sccm is newer version of SMS, for managing windows systems)

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Product_Design_Suite/enu/2012/Help/2000-Installa0/0148-Network_148/0162...

/w added to the command lines mentioned in my first post. will make setup.exe to wait till it says done to the calling program

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10

I do see the scripting section in the orig disks help files.

That probably answers my question, and interestingly, you can run an install without generating an admin image it seems.

Can you do that for network installs?  the example did a standalone 2012.

Message 8 of 10

did you notice the only switch listed for script type install is /q?

I will try the /w for sure, just funny how they left that off.

Message 9 of 10

yes these params for network

ACADSTANDALONENETWORKTYPE=3 ACADSERVERPATH="myserver 000000000000" ACADLICENSESERVERTYPE="Single Server License" ACADLICENSETYPE="Network License" 

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10

Have you managed to fix this 

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report