Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rdesktop from linux machine to Windows Server 2003 x64

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
chopley
727 Views, 3 Replies

rdesktop from linux machine to Windows Server 2003 x64

Hi,

I am running Autodesk Inventor 2010 (Build 211m Release 10) on a Windows Server 2003 (ercsim2) machine.

The software works perfectly when I am using the machine locally, however I would like to run the software remotely, using a remote desktop connection from my linux box (aslx10 running Ubuntu 10.04) in a different room in the building. This is how I run all the windows software that I require.

When I login to ercsim2 using rdesktop (from aslx4) and attempt to run Autodesk Inventor, I get an hourglass icon for a few seconds after which it seems that Windows abandons the process. I use the following rdesktop options:

$ rdesktop -g 1900x1100 ercsim2.physics.ox.ac.uk

I would imagine this may have something to do with graphics issues? Unfortunately I am not particularly well versed in identifying these bugs in Windows as most of my time is spent on a linux box.

It would be possible to simply walk across to the Autodesk Inventor machine when I need to use it, however I am able to run every other piece of Windows software that I need using remote desktop, and would like to continue this.

I am able to run Autodesk Inventor Design Assistant, Autodesk Inventor View, but not Autodesk Inventor

Are there any ideas in how to get this working?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: chopley

No.  This setup is in violation of your End User License Agreement and this action is not permitted by Autodesk. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 4
chopley
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks for your reply:

I was under the impression that provided the access was made from within the same physical site this was alright-

There is another post (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/assembly-problems/m-p/2675239/highlight/true#M373274) which references using rdesktop to do this-

Please could someone clarify whether this is indeed against the EULA?If not then the question remains whether it is possible to access Inventor from rdesktop.

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
chopley
in reply to: chopley

Hi:

I see a similar previous post by yourself here as well

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Autocad-2012-clustering/m-p/3156184#M37689

This states that RDP is not permitted by the EULA.

As such I will close the post as answered.

Thanks for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report