Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Product License Information" Fails to Open

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
robert.benedetti
487 Views, 1 Reply

"Product License Information" Fails to Open

I recently made some changes to my computer and Maya 2011, and now Maya does not operate as it did.  I am running on OSX 10.6.6 64 bit and I am running the x64 version of Maya.  

When one goes to the "Maya" menu item, and chooses "About Maya", there is a dialog box which shows product version and other information.  At the bottom of this box there is a button called "product license information."  

I used to be able to click on this button and get a window which displayed my current license information.  Now, when I click on the button, the system "pinwheel" shows up for a bit and then disappears and nothing happens.  I have examined the activity manager, and it shows that several processes are started when I click on the button, including one called: "Autodesk License Management Utility".  

I made 2 changes to my system between a functioning and non-functioning status:
1) I updated Maya to the latest release.  I had been running the original release of Maya 2011 for Mac.  The release date was March 2010.  I updated the system to SP1 (released september 2010) by downloading the new version and installing it on top of the existing installation.

2) I changed my computer's host name.  I did this to ensure compatibility with some other programs.  This was done by going to "System Preferences" > Sharing > and entering a new value in the "Computer Name Field".

I realized that the host name was listed among the properties in the license  information data, and this is when I discovered that this function was no longer working.  I have tried to change my host name back, but the product license information page still does not work.  

Note: the program still runs and I am able to use the license transfer utility.  There is just some problem showing the license information and I am concerned because this information is no longer accessible to me and it may indicate that there will be other problems down the road that I have not seen yet.

I believe there are 3 major things that may have caused this problem:
1) Installed updated Maya without removing the existing Maya.  I took the easiest route which was to just leave the old version in place and run the installer for the new version.  

2) This may be a new bug in Maya 2001 SP1 which did not exist in the original release.

3) It appears that the host name is part of the licensing information, and changing the host name might have caused this problem.  If so, how do I get things right?

I have tried rebooting.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

I would just like to note that I figured out how to solve the problem.  I ran the uninstallation method, which includes deleting maya.app and running the terminal commands: 

adlmreg –u S <productKey> 2011.0.0.F
adlmreg –u N <productKey> 2011.0.0.F
I got some error messages but it apparently worked enough.
I then reinstalled and everything works now.  
When I dug into the processes that were running when I tried to execute the "Product License Information" command, I found that before I found this solution, the version of Autodesk License Management Utility that was running was from the "R1" subdirectory of the Applications/Autodesk/Adlm/ .  This was definitely from the old installation based on dates.

Now that I ran the uninstallation script and performed a new installation, the R3 directory is used.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report