Installation & Licensing

Community Manager
philip.s
Message 11 of 16 (460 Views)

Re: license transfer utility for mac does not work

01-02-2013 09:08 AM in reply to: kevinwkoch

Hi Kevin,

The workaround for the LTU is always going to be an uninstall on the current computer, and reinstall and activate on the new one. If this results in an activation error, our Licensing Assistance team can provide the necessary activation code to override the error.

I apologize for the inconvenience and please let us know if you need additional assistance.

Philip Schmelzer
kevinwkoch
Message 12 of 16 (452 Views)

01-02-2013 09:43 AM in reply to: philip.s

Thank you, Philip. Perhaps it would be useful to include this information on the License Transfer Utility information page, with the note that the LTU often doesn't work with Macs. It would save a lot of frustration and wasted time.

Now my question is, what is the proper proceedure to uninstall Maya 2012? Since there is no longer an uninstaller included in the folder, my guess is that there are files that will be left behind if I just drag the folder to the trash.

Community Manager
philip.s
Message 13 of 16 (445 Views)

01-02-2013 10:38 AM in reply to: kevinwkoch

You're absolutely right Kevin and I'm looking into this to see if the LTU issue with Lion was ever resolved and or if it also is applicable to Mountain Lion so that we can update the documentation.

The point of the uninstall on the current computer is purely to ensure that the license isn't being used twice and the user stays compliant. With that being said dragging the program to the trash folder should suffice / accomplish that task.

Very best,

Philip Schmelzer
kevinwkoch
Message 14 of 16 (436 Views)

01-02-2013 11:16 AM in reply to: philip.s

Deleting Maya from my old computer doesn't help, since I have an academic license, and the license needs to be linked online to the computer I'm using. As far as Autodesk is concerned, the license is still with the old computer, even when all traces of Maya are deleted from that computer. As others have noted, since the License Transfer Utility doesn't work, an academic license can only be transferred by a phone call to Autodesk, which can only happen during regular business hours. Those of us who teach while using both a Mac laptop and a desktop are screwed, since the non-functional License Transfer Utility is what is supposed to allow us to quickly and painlessly move our license to whichever computer we're using and teaching with.

I've just gotten off the phone with Autodesk, and I finally have Maya running on my new computer. I started this process several days ago, but since phone support is only available during regular business hours, I was screwed. My first online class of the new term is tonight, and I will have zero time to prepare for this class, since I didn't have access to Maya on my new computer for the last several days. This is a HUGE inconvienence, and it's not very encouraging that there are Autodesk posts to this forum going back over a year saying that a functioning License Transfer Utility was coming.

Community Manager
philip.s
Message 15 of 16 (428 Views)

01-02-2013 01:16 PM in reply to: kevinwkoch

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience Kevin,

Have you considered requesting another license of Maya from the Education Community, for the other OS (would still be the same Serial Number and Product Key)? That way you could keep a license installed on both machines and wouldn't have to worry about switching back and forth.

In regards to contacting us during regular business hours, our License Assitance team can be reached 24X5 via the previously linked live chat / web form page. As mentioned previously, the only workaround for LTU issues is to uninstall on the current and reinstall / activate on the new. We are not able to transfer the license on the back end or mark the old one as inactive, as we simply process an activation code (which you received in your recent support request) to override any activation limit error messages.

Hope that helps and I'll definitely make sure to post an update here if any changes are made to the documentation.

Philip Schmelzer
coyoacan
Message 16 of 16 (263 Views)

07-05-2013 08:23 PM in reply to: raumpunkt

The Autodesk LTU software is poorly designed and does not work with Autocad 2011 on the Macs running 10.8 or above. You can export the license but the import procedure does not work as they suggest in their videos.

Perhaps Autodesk should state this in their FAQ site and direct users to call in instead of wasting our time trying an import that seems to be impossible.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube