Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drawings magically become read-only

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
bstaples
215 Views, 2 Replies

drawings magically become read-only

There was a post a while back about this topic. One of the answers posted was by Jerry Milana talking about the API calls and what goes on rergarding the open and save process. Since the search feature is down I cannot find where that post is. Can anyone point me in the right direction. We are having the same issues that discussion talkes about. Someone can be in a file when all of a sudden the file becomes read only and they have to do a save as to save their changes. Brian Staples
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: bstaples

Brian -
I hope this is the one that you're talking about

Zip,

I have addressed this issue numerous times on this discussion site. If this were an AutoCAD problem, all of your users would be
having this problem while you state only some have the problem. This points to an environment issue. Usually this type of
situation is caused by performance problems where AutoCAD's API request is either lost or not processed fast enough to be completed
by the time AutoCAD issues an API delete request on the same file. So, if only some workstations experience the behavior, I would
look for commonality. Things I would suspect, for example, would be a slow or defective hub or router, out of date NIC drivers,
incompatible (with the OS) NICs.

Jerry Milana,
Autodesk Product Support

"bstaples" wrote in message news:f08b93b.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> There was a post a while back about this topic. One of the answers posted was by Jerry Milana talking about the API calls and what
goes on rergarding the open and save process. Since the search feature is down I cannot find where that post is. Can anyone point me
in the right direction. We are having the same issues that discussion talkes about. Someone can be in a file when all of a sudden
the file becomes read only and they have to do a save as to save their changes. Brian Staples
>
Message 3 of 3
bstaples
in reply to: bstaples

That one's close. I can use that info too. The one I was actually thinking of had this reply:
"Hello All, When you hit the SAVE or OPEN button in AutoCAD, a lot more goes on under the covers than with most software. This is necessary due to complexities such as xrefs. SAVE actually causes a series of file deletion and renaming. When you open a file in AutoCAD, AutoCAD sends a request to lock the file via Microsoft network API calls. Part of the SAVE process includes sending an API call to release the lock. Performance problems and network software defects can break this process. In some cases, a slow server does not process the lock release request fast enough. In these cases, our instruction to rename the file generates a sharing violation, causing the operating system to flag the drawing read-only. Some third party network software misinterprets the API calls we make while others drop them altogether. Jerry Milana, Autodesk Product Support"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report