Installation & Licensing

Reply
*Wheat, Chuck
Message 11 of 16 (63 Views)

Re:

02-26-2000 06:18 AM in reply to: *Wheat, Chuck
> Why has this thread gone on for almost a week without any interference -
> or help from Autodesk?

You said it, Petri! It ought to be a simple tech-support question with a
cut-and-dried answer. It's great when user-to-user help suffices, and it's
also great when someone from Autodesk steps in to clear things up. Maybe
the network support team is stretched too thin.

Chuck
*Schroeder, Bud
Message 12 of 16 (63 Views)

Re:

02-26-2000 02:27 PM in reply to: *Wheat, Chuck
Hi Chuck.

I have been working with AutoCAD since version 2.6 and was one of the early
ThreadMasters on the AutoCAD board on Compuserve. What ALWAYS made that work
was the mix of Autodesk, CADManagers, System Administrators and users all
helping each other out. That is the best support you can get anyplace;-)...

Take care.

Bud

Chuck Wheat wrote:

> > Why has this thread gone on for almost a week without any interference -
> > or help from Autodesk?
>
> You said it, Petri! It ought to be a simple tech-support question with a
> cut-and-dried answer. It's great when user-to-user help suffices, and it's
> also great when someone from Autodesk steps in to clear things up. Maybe
> the network support team is stretched too thin.
>
> Chuck
*Nehls, Kevin
Message 13 of 16 (63 Views)

Re:

02-28-2000 08:12 AM in reply to: *Wheat, Chuck
When I was trying to figure this problem out with the trial version. The
only help that any Autodesk person gave in one of these NGs was a little
comment. No actual help. Personally (and I am not trying to attack anyone
at Autodesk, they have helped me out many times) I don't think that any of
the tech support know about this problem, or if they do then they have been
told not to discuss it or acknowledge that it exists.

--
Kevin Nehls
for reply remove -ns-
Bud Schroeder wrote in message <38B85369.F9FD99E6@sonic.net>...
>Hi Chuck.
>
>I have been working with AutoCAD since version 2.6 and was one of the early
>ThreadMasters on the AutoCAD board on Compuserve. What ALWAYS made that
work
>was the mix of Autodesk, CADManagers, System Administrators and users all
>helping each other out. That is the best support you can get
anyplace;-)...
>
>Take care.
>
>Bud
(snip)
*Nehls, Kevin
Message 14 of 16 (63 Views)

Re:

02-28-2000 08:15 AM in reply to: *Wheat, Chuck
Your welcome. IMHO, it sucks that we have to resort to such drastic
measures. Your boss must be much like our CFO (who is in charge the IT
dept.), he thinks he it in the know, but he is actually technologically
inept.

--
Kevin Nehls
for reply remove -ns-

Kenneth Anderson wrote in message <01bf7fba$9d1ad810$08844f98@fdc_bond>...
>Kevin, you were right,
>The only way to get rid of the "hidden" Authorization Code Wizard hook from
>a previous non-networked installation of AutoCAD 2000 was the low level
>format. For SCSI disks you MUST use a low level format utility from the
>SCSI interface card vendor.(snip)
*Wheat, Chuck
Message 15 of 16 (63 Views)

Re:

02-29-2000 09:03 AM in reply to: *Wheat, Chuck
> I don't think that any of
> the tech support know about this problem, or if they do then they have
been
> told not to discuss it or acknowledge that it exists.

If it's "as-designed", I suppose they are trying to prevent some kind of
license abuse in this scenario. But I can't figure out what it would be.
Authcodes are required either way. I would almost think there's a bigger
danger of people trying to turn network versions into standalone than the
other way around. What's the big deal? Or if it's a bug -- again, what's
the big deal? This is the most mysterious tech-support issue that has ever
cropped up for me.

--
--
Chuck Wheat ..... cwheat233@yahoo.com
--
*Anderson, Kenneth
Message 16 of 16 (63 Views)

Re:

02-29-2000 10:03 AM in reply to: *Wheat, Chuck
<>
not for 30 days, and then you can re-install AutoCAD again. Not too much
of an inconvenience.

It is not only the demo version, but any version of A2K that is installed.
The problem that I had was that we installed from the Full AutoCAD CD (NOT
a demo version). I accidentally configured the non-networked version of
AutoCAD for installation/setup from the server. When installed, the
installation left a "hook" somewhere that can not be removed.

I would speculate that this might be useful in finding out the extent that
a business might be pirating the software. The business would un-install
the software, even format the hard disk, thinking that they might have
erased any tracks of piracy. Autodesk could then audit any machines, and
find out if AutoCAD had been installed on that machine. Tracking this
"hook" might be very useful in a piracy litigation scenario.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community


Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube