Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1980 Views, 9 Replies

autocad over vpn

I have configured a VPN connection for an A & E firm. They can access dwgs on their file server. The problem is that saving the files takes a very long time (close to a minute one user complaines). I was wondering if there are any best practices articles or whitepapers to optimize using Autocad over VPN someone can refer me to. Someone on a newsgroup talked about a check-in, check-out product. Any ideas? I tried google but couldn't come up with much. Also some people mention setting up a TS server for this purpose but others mention licensing issues. Has anyone got any experience using a TS server for running Autocad though that might be a budge issue for this firm. Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

What AutoCAD version? What is the VPN connection speed? -- Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com Take a look at JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com More on AutoCAD 2005; www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm "Levent Onen" wrote in message news:4055c9c1$1_1@newsprd01... > I have configured a VPN connection for an A & E firm. They can access dwgs > on their file server. The problem is that saving the files takes a very > long time (close to a minute one user complaines). I was wondering if there > are any best practices articles or whitepapers to optimize using Autocad > over VPN someone can refer me to. Someone on a newsgroup talked about a > check-in, check-out product. Any ideas? > > I tried google but couldn't come up with much. Also some people mention > setting up a TS server for this purpose but others mention licensing issues. > Has anyone got any experience using a TS server for running Autocad though > that might be a budge issue for this firm. > > Thanks. > >
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Jimmy: ACAD Version is 2000. Would the newer versions be more suitable for any reason? VPN: Bandwidth is an issue as the location is far from the CO and the ony company that offers DSL, doesnt offer SDSL. The service is supposed to be 512 down / 256 up but there is no QoS gurantee. I know that this is a little low for VPN but there is very little traffic (only 5 users, 3 of which use AutoCAD or VPN connections.) "Jimmy Bergmark" wrote in message news:4055d22d$1_1@newsprd01... > What AutoCAD version? > What is the VPN connection speed? > > -- > Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark > CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com > Take a look at > JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport > SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm > or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com > More on AutoCAD 2005; > www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm > > > "Levent Onen" wrote in message > news:4055c9c1$1_1@newsprd01... > > I have configured a VPN connection for an A & E firm. They can access > dwgs > > on their file server. The problem is that saving the files takes a very > > long time (close to a minute one user complaines). I was wondering if > there > > are any best practices articles or whitepapers to optimize using Autocad > > over VPN someone can refer me to. Someone on a newsgroup talked about a > > check-in, check-out product. Any ideas? > > > > I tried google but couldn't come up with much. Also some people mention > > setting up a TS server for this purpose but others mention licensing > issues. > > Has anyone got any experience using a TS server for running Autocad though > > that might be a budge issue for this firm. > > > > Thanks. > > > > > >
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

"License borrowing" is a feature in AutoCAD 2004 that lets a user run AutoCAD without being connected to a network (by "checking out" a network license). It doesn't seem to apply in this case; it sounds like you're just trying to speed up the time to save a file to the network drive. Your network speed is very slow, compared to the 10000 down you probably have in the office. Adding VPN takes further bandwidth. How long does it take to simply copy the file to the server, outside of AutoCAD? I'll bet it's nearly the same as saving from within AutoCAD. That's the problem you have to solve. Were you looking for a solution that would let the user check out a .DWG from the server and update it locally, perhaps? --Cy-- "Levent Onen" wrote in message news:4055f656$1_2@newsprd01... > Jimmy: > > ACAD Version is 2000. Would the newer versions be more suitable for any > reason? > > VPN: Bandwidth is an issue as the location is far from the CO and the ony > company that offers DSL, doesnt offer SDSL. The service is supposed to be > 512 down / 256 up but there is no QoS gurantee. I know that this is a > little low for VPN but there is very little traffic (only 5 users, 3 of > which use AutoCAD or VPN connections.) > > > > > "Jimmy Bergmark" wrote in message > news:4055d22d$1_1@newsprd01... > > What AutoCAD version? > > What is the VPN connection speed? > > > > -- > > Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark > > CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com > > Take a look at > > JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport > > SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm > > or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com > > More on AutoCAD 2005; > > www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm > > > > > > "Levent Onen" wrote in message > > news:4055c9c1$1_1@newsprd01... > > > I have configured a VPN connection for an A & E firm. They can access > > dwgs > > > on their file server. The problem is that saving the files takes a very > > > long time (close to a minute one user complaines). I was wondering if > > there > > > are any best practices articles or whitepapers to optimize using Autocad > > > over VPN someone can refer me to. Someone on a newsgroup talked about a > > > check-in, check-out product. Any ideas? > > > > > > I tried google but couldn't come up with much. Also some people mention > > > setting up a TS server for this purpose but others mention licensing > > issues. > > > Has anyone got any experience using a TS server for running Autocad > though > > > that might be a budge issue for this firm. > > > > > > Thanks. > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

> Your network speed is very slow, compared to the 10000 down you probably > have in the office. Adding VPN takes further bandwidth. How long does it > take to simply copy the file to the server, outside of AutoCAD? I'll bet > it's nearly the same as saving from within AutoCAD. That's the problem you > have to solve. > Cy, Thanks very much for your help. Network speed? I meant the internet connection speed to be 512 kbps. What do you mean by 10 000 down? Are you talking about a 10 Mbps internet connection. That would have to be an optical connection that is out of reach for any small business. Or are you talking about the ethernet switch and NIC speeds on the Lan. If so everything runs on 100 Mbps devices. > Were you looking for a solution that would let the user check out a .DWG > from the server and update it locally, perhaps? > Well yes, if this would minimize saving needs over a VPN connection and avoid any file corruption if the VPN connection was disconnected. In other words, users would download files they want to work on, check the out, do their work, save, autosave locally and only post back to the server when they are done. But how would XRefs work in this scenario, I am not so sure? Thanks again for your help. > --Cy-- > > "Levent Onen" wrote in message > news:4055f656$1_2@newsprd01... > > Jimmy: > > > > ACAD Version is 2000. Would the newer versions be more suitable for any > > reason? > > > > VPN: Bandwidth is an issue as the location is far from the CO and the ony > > company that offers DSL, doesnt offer SDSL. The service is supposed to be > > 512 down / 256 up but there is no QoS gurantee. I know that this is a > > little low for VPN but there is very little traffic (only 5 users, 3 of > > which use AutoCAD or VPN connections.) > > > > > > > > > > "Jimmy Bergmark" wrote in message > > news:4055d22d$1_1@newsprd01... > > > What AutoCAD version? > > > What is the VPN connection speed? > > > > > > -- > > > Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark > > > CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com > > > Take a look at > > > JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport > > > SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm > > > or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com > > > More on AutoCAD 2005; > > > www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm > > > > > > > > > "Levent Onen" wrote in message > > > news:4055c9c1$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > I have configured a VPN connection for an A & E firm. They can access > > > dwgs > > > > on their file server. The problem is that saving the files takes a > very > > > > long time (close to a minute one user complaines). I was wondering if > > > there > > > > are any best practices articles or whitepapers to optimize using > Autocad > > > > over VPN someone can refer me to. Someone on a newsgroup talked about > a > > > > check-in, check-out product. Any ideas? > > > > > > > > I tried google but couldn't come up with much. Also some people > mention > > > > setting up a TS server for this purpose but others mention licensing > > > issues. > > > > Has anyone got any experience using a TS server for running Autocad > > though > > > > that might be a budge issue for this firm. > > > > > > > > Thanks. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

AutoCAD 2004 and 2005 creates smaller DWG files. And this of course speed up things. Other than that you have to look at a document handling system that can handle check in/out of documents. Working with xrefs and making sure that the size of them are kept small might speed up things. Take a look at XLOADCTL. -- Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com Take a look at JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com More on AutoCAD 2005; www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm "Levent Onen" wrote in message news:4055f656$1_2@newsprd01... > Jimmy: > > ACAD Version is 2000. Would the newer versions be more suitable for any > reason? > > VPN: Bandwidth is an issue as the location is far from the CO and the ony > company that offers DSL, doesnt offer SDSL. The service is supposed to be > 512 down / 256 up but there is no QoS gurantee. I know that this is a > little low for VPN but there is very little traffic (only 5 users, 3 of > which use AutoCAD or VPN connections.) > > > > > "Jimmy Bergmark" wrote in message > news:4055d22d$1_1@newsprd01... > > What AutoCAD version? > > What is the VPN connection speed? > > > > -- > > Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark > > CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com > > Take a look at > > JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport > > SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm > > or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com > > More on AutoCAD 2005; > > www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm > > > > > > "Levent Onen" wrote in message > > news:4055c9c1$1_1@newsprd01... > > > I have configured a VPN connection for an A & E firm. They can access > > dwgs > > > on their file server. The problem is that saving the files takes a very > > > long time (close to a minute one user complaines). I was wondering if > > there > > > are any best practices articles or whitepapers to optimize using Autocad > > > over VPN someone can refer me to. Someone on a newsgroup talked about a > > > check-in, check-out product. Any ideas? > > > > > > I tried google but couldn't come up with much. Also some people mention > > > setting up a TS server for this purpose but others mention licensing > > issues. > > > Has anyone got any experience using a TS server for running Autocad > though > > > that might be a budge issue for this firm. > > > > > > Thanks. > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks Jimmy, Do you have a document handling system you would recommend? "Jimmy Bergmark" wrote in message news:40560cc9$1_3@newsprd01... > AutoCAD 2004 and 2005 creates smaller DWG files. And this of course speed up > things. > Other than that you have to look at a document handling system that can > handle check in/out of documents. > Working with xrefs and making sure that the size of them are kept small > might speed up things. Take a look at XLOADCTL. > > -- > Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark > CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com > Take a look at > JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport > SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm > or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com > More on AutoCAD 2005; > www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm > > > "Levent Onen" wrote in message > news:4055f656$1_2@newsprd01... > > Jimmy: > > > > ACAD Version is 2000. Would the newer versions be more suitable for any > > reason? > > > > VPN: Bandwidth is an issue as the location is far from the CO and the ony > > company that offers DSL, doesnt offer SDSL. The service is supposed to be > > 512 down / 256 up but there is no QoS gurantee. I know that this is a > > little low for VPN but there is very little traffic (only 5 users, 3 of > > which use AutoCAD or VPN connections.) > > > > > > > > > > "Jimmy Bergmark" wrote in message > > news:4055d22d$1_1@newsprd01... > > > What AutoCAD version? > > > What is the VPN connection speed? > > > > > > -- > > > Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark > > > CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com > > > Take a look at > > > JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport > > > SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm > > > or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com > > > More on AutoCAD 2005; > > > www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm > > > > > > > > > "Levent Onen" wrote in message > > > news:4055c9c1$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > I have configured a VPN connection for an A & E firm. They can access > > > dwgs > > > > on their file server. The problem is that saving the files takes a > very > > > > long time (close to a minute one user complaines). I was wondering if > > > there > > > > are any best practices articles or whitepapers to optimize using > Autocad > > > > over VPN someone can refer me to. Someone on a newsgroup talked about > a > > > > check-in, check-out product. Any ideas? > > > > > > > > I tried google but couldn't come up with much. Also some people > mention > > > > setting up a TS server for this purpose but others mention licensing > > > issues. > > > > Has anyone got any experience using a TS server for running Autocad > > though > > > > that might be a budge issue for this firm. > > > > > > > > Thanks. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Conisio is one. www.conisio.com -- Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com Take a look at JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com More on AutoCAD 2005; www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm "Levent Onen" wrote in message news:4056237b_3@newsprd01... > Thanks Jimmy, > Do you have a document handling system you would recommend? > > "Jimmy Bergmark" wrote in message > news:40560cc9$1_3@newsprd01... > > AutoCAD 2004 and 2005 creates smaller DWG files. And this of course speed > up > > things. > > Other than that you have to look at a document handling system that can > > handle check in/out of documents. > > Working with xrefs and making sure that the size of them are kept small > > might speed up things. Take a look at XLOADCTL. > > > > -- > > Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark > > CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com > > Take a look at > > JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport > > SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm > > or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com > > More on AutoCAD 2005; > > www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm > > > > > > "Levent Onen" wrote in message > > news:4055f656$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Jimmy: > > > > > > ACAD Version is 2000. Would the newer versions be more suitable for any > > > reason? > > > > > > VPN: Bandwidth is an issue as the location is far from the CO and the > ony > > > company that offers DSL, doesnt offer SDSL. The service is supposed to > be > > > 512 down / 256 up but there is no QoS gurantee. I know that this is a > > > little low for VPN but there is very little traffic (only 5 users, 3 of > > > which use AutoCAD or VPN connections.) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Jimmy Bergmark" wrote in message > > > news:4055d22d$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > What AutoCAD version? > > > > What is the VPN connection speed? > > > > > > > > -- > > > > Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark > > > > CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com > > > > Take a look at > > > > JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport > > > > SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - > www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm > > > > or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com > > > > More on AutoCAD 2005; > > > > www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm > > > > > > > > > > > > "Levent Onen" wrote in message > > > > news:4055c9c1$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > I have configured a VPN connection for an A & E firm. They can > access > > > > dwgs > > > > > on their file server. The problem is that saving the files takes a > > very > > > > > long time (close to a minute one user complaines). I was wondering > if > > > > there > > > > > are any best practices articles or whitepapers to optimize using > > Autocad > > > > > over VPN someone can refer me to. Someone on a newsgroup talked > about > > a > > > > > check-in, check-out product. Any ideas? > > > > > > > > > > I tried google but couldn't come up with much. Also some people > > mention > > > > > setting up a TS server for this purpose but others mention licensing > > > > issues. > > > > > Has anyone got any experience using a TS server for running Autocad > > > though > > > > > that might be a budge issue for this firm. > > > > > > > > > > Thanks. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

"Levent Onen" wrote in message news:4055fa11$1_2@newsprd01... > > Your network speed is very slow, compared to the 10000 down you probably > > have in the office. Adding VPN takes further bandwidth. How long does it > > take to simply copy the file to the server, outside of AutoCAD? I'll bet > > it's nearly the same as saving from within AutoCAD. That's the problem > you > > have to solve. > > > > Cy, > Thanks very much for your help. > > Network speed? I meant the internet connection speed to be 512 kbps. What > do you mean by 10 000 down? Are you talking about a 10 Mbps internet > connection. That would have to be an optical connection that is out of > reach for any small business. Or are you talking about the ethernet switch > and NIC speeds on the Lan. If so everything runs on 100 Mbps devices. Yes, I'm talking about 10/100 LAN speeds. Back to the original problem: the user says it's "slow" saving the file. This is all relative; "slow" compared to what? Certainly not compared to 14.4 dialup! My benchmark for a 10 meg LAN is that a file copy of a one meg file takes nine seconds (using the DOS command line). What is the problem you're trying to solve? Narrow the situation down. Compare saving over the VPN in AutoCAD to simply copying the file over VPN. Compare that to copying the file somewhere else without the VPN. Work from the bottom up: check for errors on the basic network connection; those are a huge performance hit. Measure the speed (you said there was no QoS guarantee; what speed do you measure using www.dslreports.com or other tools?). Tweak the clients for broadband performance (see the tweak tools at dslreports). Check the performance of your VPN, and see what settings are available there. I very much doubt that it matters whether AutoCAD is saving the file or any other app (although as Jimmy pointed out, AutoCAD 2004's smaller files will obviously save faster). In any case, you've got to know what your base network is doing. Any problems there will simply bubble up into every other app. --Cy--
Message 10 of 10
JonM._Schneider

Did you ever find a solution for this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report