Were in the process of switch out our old server with a new one. The new server is Windows Server 2012 Essentials. I have installed the netowrk license manager just like I have done in the past. Everything looks fine on the log files, but the client machines cannot see or connect to the network license manager. Tried disabling the windows firewall, even added exceptions for the required ports. Client machines are on the local network and same subnet. The service has also been stopped on the old box for now. This NLM install is a single server only. Any ideas what might be the problem?
I was able to get this to work but modifying the LICPATH.lic file in the program files. After I changed that, all the client machines could connect and get the license as neccessary.
The best way to do this is with the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE system environment variable. You can make the change and then export the .reg of this to all the machines. Not every Autodesk product uses the LICPATH.LIC so when you change NLM to another server, this is the most appropriate way to point to the new server.
You will also want to verify that the clients do not connect to the new server via IPv6.
More information on the variable can be found below:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files | Disk Space