Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10
teunooo
513 Views, 9 Replies

Windows 8 x64 bit

hello, is inventor 2011, 2012, 2013 or 2014 availeble with windows 8.1 x64 bit 

or is only the 2014 version availeble with the 8.1 of windows??

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jacksondogsowner1
in reply to: teunooo

Even though Autodesk says Inventor 2014 is compatible; It is not.  I have been fighting for over a week now trying to install the software, and Autodesk gives absolutely no support.  Wish I had known this before I purchased a new laptop specifically for this software.

My advice;

Buy SolidWorks instead.

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 10

If the right questions are asked to the wrong people, or the wrong questions to the right people, correct answers are unlikely.  AutoDesk support is provided through the Subscription service and potentially through the reseller as well, and in my experience has been quite good.

Inventor 2014 should run on Win 8 (note that Win 8.1 is *different*).  Most would recommend using Win 7 as an OS for the longer established history and support base, not for anything to do with Inventor issues.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 10
DarrenP
in reply to: jacksondogsowner1

autodesk never said any version of Inventor was compatible with windows 8.1 they have released fixes for windows 8.1 it does not make it compatible with it

Windows 8.1 came out after 2014 was released

there are also system requirements that are posted on autodesk website:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10

Right or wrong people, I've been asking everyone.  I just need to get my software working that I paid so much of my personal monies to obtain.  The fact that Autodesk tells me it should work on a Windows 8 means it should work on Windows 8 and updates for 8 (ie 8.1).  You're right, it is *different*, but Autodesk has an obligation to support their products on Windows 8 if they say it will work on windows 8, not just a small subset of windows 8 (win 8.0) but all of windows 8.

When someone such as myself whom is working on starting up their own company and has very few funds to work with, decides to trust Autodesk for software.  Yes, I EXPECT some support.  I'm not talking subscription support of how do I model this or get this revolve function to work or whatever..... I just want to get the software itself installed and working.  It's not too much to ask.

Until I can actually get the software I paid for installed and working my advice is the same; Buy SolidWorks instead.

(Also as for the posted system requirements: 

• Windows® 7 (32-bit minimum, 64-bit recommended) or Windows® 8 64-bit[1] operating system

It does not say Windows 8.0.  It just says Windows 8.)

Message 6 of 10

Check your contract.  Typically (mandatory for many major AutoDesk products) part of that large amount of money you are paying is for Subscription support, which includes technical assistance for such problems as how to install the program.  If you purchased through a reseller then they may provide the opportunity for an in-person visit to your place of work.

Just so we're clear: there are no "subsets" of Win 8.  The naming convention could certainly be clearer, but Win 8.1 is NOT an upgrade of Win 8 in the sense of applying a service pack, hotfix, or Windows update.  Consider it the same as going from Vista to Win 7.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 10
pendean
in reply to: teunooo

To answer the question posted: 2011-12-13 are not officially supported in Win8, only 2014.
More users report problems with Win8.1 than Win8, ever fewer issues with Win7.

But like all software everywhere, your actual experience may vary due to conditions outside of Autodesk's control.
Message 8 of 10
jacksondogsowner1
in reply to: pendean

As for Pendean's comments as to software experience being unique to the equipment, etc.... that is true.  Though here's something to think about;  the video game Battlefield 2, on winXP.  I bought that game many years ago for the high price of $50.  When I had problems installing it, it took less than 2 days of phone conversations with actual live, human, technical support, and they had the problem sussed out and software working.

Can you believe there was a real live person who helped me figure out what the issue was with their software?!  Ah the days of responsive customer service.

$50 software, with installation help.  Imagine that.

Message 9 of 10
pendean
in reply to: jacksondogsowner1

I was simply answering the OP who got forgotten: I am not interested in the other discussion here.

I find that those who protest the loudest (seeing all your latest posts) usually aren't the best equipped to solve their own issues and hiccups: they are too distracted. Consider paying a local authorized dealer to help you with your installation and operating problems, most are great folks willing to do a lot to help if you cover their time/expenses and they won't give up.
Message 10 of 10
jacksondogsowner1
in reply to: pendean

You are exactly right I am not equipped to solve this, nor do I have the time available.  I am protesting the loudest though because I am just stricken with the lack of aid by Autodesk.  It floors me that installation assistance isn't covered in the price.

One other thing that has surprised me is how much the community just accepts this lack of help from Autodesk, and that Autodesk put the oweness on the users and the community to fix the software problems rather than leading the charge themselves.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report