Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
lars972
255 Views, 5 Replies

Win2k Permissions ???

I have a new win2k server and All of our drawings are saved there. We have about 10 engineers running win95/98 and using AutoCAD 13/14. We open the drawings directly on the server and make changes, never copying them. I have set the permissions on the shared directory to modify and removed the delete permission. The boss does not want anyone but him to be able to delete anything. With delete not allowed, autoCad can not save properly. We get "can not save as it is opened by another session" and with delete allowed it works fine. By opening throught the network then saving, does the save operation in AutoCAD delete then save the changes??? Is there a way to remove delete from the share/NTFS permissions that will allow it to save? Thanks for any response, I'm stumped.

Larry
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: lars972

Larry -

Unfortunately autocad doesn't save like most other programs. The way that acad does a
save is something like this (more complicated than this actually, but you'll get the
general idea).
1. User clicks the save button.
2. Acad checks to see if there is a filename.bak file in the same folder as the
filename.dwg folder, If there is DELETE it. Rename the existing filename.dwg to
filename.bak. Now this rename business is a bit confusing to me. I'm not sure that acad
actually does a rename, I think that it might create a copy of the existing filename.dwg
file as filename.bak and then DELETE the filename.dwg file. I'm not sure of this, maybe
one of the Autodesk guys will jump in here and help me out.
3. Acad checks to see if there is a filename.dwg file, If there is, I think that it
tries to DELETE it.
4. The currently loaded drawing is then saved as filename.dwg, assuming that all of the
stuff above work as prescribed.

Unfortunately Autocad's save involves at least one (and probably more than 1) delete.
There is no know way to inhibit delete and allow autocad to function normally at this
time.

sorry

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"lars972" wrote in message news:f0584a5.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
I have a new win2k server and All of our drawings are saved there. We have about 10
engineers running win95/98 and using AutoCAD 13/14. We open the drawings directly on the
server and make changes, never copying them. I have set the permissions on the shared
directory to modify and removed the delete permission. The boss does not want anyone but
him to be able to delete anything. With delete not allowed, autoCad can not save properly.
We get "can not save as it is opened by another session" and with delete allowed it works
fine. By opening throught the network then saving, does the save operation in AutoCAD
delete then save the changes??? Is there a way to remove delete from the share/NTFS
permissions that will allow it to save? Thanks for any response, I'm stumped.
Larry
Message 3 of 6
lars972

Jason, Thanks
Would anyone recommend a file sharing program, and would this work? I'm thinking is would have the same problems.
I assume having the engineers copy the drawings locally and applying changes then saving them back would be the only solution until AutoCAD comes out with some new features. Thanks

Larry
Message 4 of 6
dgard

If you don't need the backup files, you can turn off the option to create a backup. In R14 go to Tools \ Preferences \General Tab \ Uncheck the Create backup copy with each save option. This will keep AutoCAD from needing to delete the BAK file. However, if you need the BAK then this is not the answer you are looking for.

Dennis Gard
Message 5 of 6
puhrig

You may try giving the "system" the permission to delete files (as well as your boss). I'm not sure the process in which AutoCAD deletes the files but if it is the permission of the system that deletes the files and not the permission of the users, this scenario should work.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

There was a similar thread about a year ago on
this newsgroup ,regarding a similar situation. I recall, that I product
from Executive Software (Undelete) is a round about way of solving the fact that
Acad deletes a file before it saves it.

SS

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
You
may try giving the "system" the permission to delete files (as well as your
boss). I'm not sure the process in which AutoCAD deletes the files but if it
is the permission of the system that deletes the files and not the permission
of the users, this scenario should work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report