Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Servers and License Manager

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mdhutchinson
432 Views, 4 Replies

Virtual Servers and License Manager

Has anyone seen any issue with running the license manager on a network drive set up as a virtual server?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: mdhutchinson

mdhutchinson wrote:
> Has anyone seen any issue with running the license manager on a network
> drive set up as a virtual server?

Strictly speaking, that is against the License Agreement: "You may not
utilize any equipment, device, software, or other means designed to
circumvent or remove any form of copy protection used by Autodesk in
connection with the Software".

- So is using any device where you can change the MAC address, if they
are still using the MAC address as part of generating the license files.

--
Message 3 of 5
TravisNave

I think Autodesk's stance is that it is not supported. However, it does work. The issue you may find is that your VM may randomly change MAC addresses on you and invalidate your LIC file. My recommendation for you if you decide to virtualize your NLM is to hard code the MAC address into the virtual NIC to prevent this from changing. Other than this, it should work just as it would on any other server.

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

As usual Travis is correct.

My NLM has been on a VMware server for a couple years.

Works fine and if you hard code the virtual NIC with the same MAC address and name the virtual server the same name you won't even need new license files.

Just don't ever boot the old server again.
Message 5 of 5
TravisNave

As usual, John boots my ego to dangerous levels.

I will have to say that there is a distinct advantage on hard coding the MAC in your VM for purposes of making your license file immortal. In fact, the hostname itself can be side-stepped if you replace the LIC file's reference with the THIS_HOST reference. This ultimately makes your LIC file portable in the event of emergency catastrophic failure. 😉

Have you tried the lmadmin web interface yet? It is pretty neat. I have a screen cap of mine in another post here somewhere.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report