Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Windows client can't see Mac NLM

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bgwilkes
448 Views, 5 Replies

Virgin Windows client can't see Mac NLM

We have a working lmgrd process (11.11) running on Mac OS X (10.6.8). Mac clients can check out licenses, but a newly-installed Windows 7 machine cannot. First, I have to turn off the Windows firewall to get any response from the process looking for a license. Then, it comes back with an error (-15.570, then error 20). I can ping the two machines (by name) from each other. There is no trace of the license request in the server debug log.

Is there some licensing component that must be installed on the client? or can Windows clients not use a Mac NLM?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
aaronhai
in reply to: bgwilkes

Hi bgwilkes,

Welcome to Autodesk Discussion Group.

If the license service is running, please test connectivity for FLEXNET license port 2080 and 27000 to determine client-to-server connectivity is good.

You can test the ports by typing the following with MS Internet Explorer.

• http://servername:27000
  • http://servername:2080

You should get a jargon response or display of weird text within IE. But, if you get an error, then it imply the required ports are blocked. Please re-look into the Firewall and other security devices to allow connection to Port 2080 and 27000. 

Thank you.

Aaron Hai
Message 3 of 6
TravisNave

I agree with the test above. 

Also, is the PING result the expected IPv4 result or is the newer hex IPv6 response?  That makes a big difference.

You might also consider the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE and the FLEXLM_TIMEOUT system environment variables on your Win7 machines.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 6
bgwilkes
in reply to: TravisNave

Turns out that IPv6 was the right clue: ping returned hex values, and as long as it is enabled in the NIC parameters, the license server won't work. Nothing else was affected, but as we're on an IPv4 network, I disabled it. That permitted the apps to start, eventually.

Startup times for the suite are still inordinately long compared with our Macs, so I suspect it might still be looking for a network service that it can't reach, then falls back to the right connection. The delayis on the order of a minute. Should I be going about this differently, i.e. not disabling IPv6, but re-ordering the priority somehow?

Thanks for the tip so far.

Message 5 of 6
TravisNave

Try forcing it with this on the Windows machines:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8385605&linkID=9240617

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 6
dembkod

bgwilkes ,

Hello. You may have better luck if you point machines to the license server using an IP address as opposed to a Server name. Your Windows machines can use a variable.

1.)        Right-click the My Computer icon.

2.)        Click the Advanced tab.

3.)        Click "Environment Variables".

4.)        Under the System Variables window, click "New".

5.)        In the Variable name field enter ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE

6.)        In the Variable value field enter @YOUR_SERVER_IP_ADDRESS

7.)        Click "Okay".

When using two different systems like this, the IP address is usually the way to go.

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report