Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2011 SQL Installation Folder

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
480 Views, 3 Replies

Vault 2011 SQL Installation Folder

We are currently attempting to upgrade from Autodesk Inventor/Vault 2009 to 2011. We have a dedicated server that we have installed Vault on for a few years with each upgrade. For some reason when the server was set up, it was partitioned to have 12 GB on C:, and over 300 GB on D:. 2011 finally has "broken the bank" and requires more space than we have available. It claims it needs over 9 total GB to install on our server. Here's my question.

When I attempt to install the new Vault, it always defaults to using the existing AUTODESKVAULT SQL database. I am not a SQL pro, but I have no idea how to allow me to install this information on the 😧 drive. I have already used the ADMS to detach, migrate, and reattach the vault and all content libraries to the 😧 drive.

I read through http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=5723934&linkID=9261340 which is dated 2007, but doesn't refer to the newer Vault installations. It involved changing the setup.ini file to point to a different drive entirely, and therefore creating a "new" local AUTODESKVAULT SQL instance.

The only option I really have right now is to somehow have everything involving the 2011 Vault installed on the 😧 drive.

Any suggestions? Thanks! Edited by: gradys on May 12, 2010 1:36 PM
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Assuming you have a backup for your Vault 2009 databases (made via the
ADMS-Console); try changing the locations of the databases and filestore to
the 😧 drive by doing a restore of that backup. This way the software will
remain on C and the data will be on D.

If the Vault Server 2011 installer still thinks it needs 9GB on the C drive
(it might not realize databases will be going the D drive), try unchecking
the Inventor Standard Content libraries during the install; and then
afterwards manually unzip those databases from the media and use
ADMS-Console to import them (they will go to the D drive if that is where
you restored your backup to above).

Hope this helps,
Dave Mink
Autodesk / Data Management
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

This may be a dumb question, but wanted to ask before I plunging into this backup again. I detached the vault, and all libraries, and moved the main knowledge vault over to the D:\ drive. Why would wiping and restoring from a backup be any different? My main problem (and it may be a SQL problem and not Autodesk, but I'm not sure) is I cannot get it to uncheck the default "local AUTODESK SQL database located". When Vault was originally installed, I believe it used the express version which created the MS$AUTODESK or whatever the exact name of the database was. Even after moving the database over, I am unable to actually move that AUTODESK folder in the SQL directory. It claims it is still in use. I feel if I could move that information over to D:, then the Valut software would either allow me to point to D:\, or would automatically find it on D:\. To move that folder, do I have to detach everything again?
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Detatching all the vault & library databases via ADMS-Console and then
moving and re-attaching them in the proper order should give you the same
end result as doing a restore and choosing new locations - but the
backup/restore ensures proper permissions settings and is less steps so
therefore less error prone. Also, before doing anything like this it is wise
to make backup first.

The SQL Server instance contains system databases that are created when SQL
is installed.
To move those, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071. But be *very*
careful - if anything goes wrong you could end up having to re-install SQL!

Hope this helps,
Dave Mink
Autodesk / Data Management

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report