Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using work sharing on two computers in the same office

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
haydenwse
698 Views, 6 Replies

Using work sharing on two computers in the same office

What is the minimum stuff required to use the work-sharing in Rivet?  Do I need to have a dedicated server or can I just share the central file on windows 7 work-groups?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

All you need to have is a Shared directory on the network, where both computers have full access to, with full rights as well. Then save your Central Files to that Shared Directory.

Hope this helps...

Timmy De Austria
Product Support | Up and Ready Blog | If my reply was helpful, please Kudo or Accept as Solution. 😉
Message 3 of 7
haydenwse
in reply to: haydenwse

That is what I tried but the "Create New Local" button is only available to the first computer to open the file.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Message 4 of 7

You probably did not have any WORKSETS on your Central File. Make sure that you create Worksets on your Central file, so multiple people can work on it.

Hope this helps....

Timmy De Austria
Product Support | Up and Ready Blog | If my reply was helpful, please Kudo or Accept as Solution. 😉
Message 5 of 7

I do have worksets set up on the central file and the first computer to open the central file can check the "Create New Local" button.  The file then opens a local file with the users' name added to it.  When the second computer tries to open the file, the "Create New Local" button is grayed out and cannot be checked. (see attached sreen shots)

It does not matter which computer I start with.  Which ever one opens first can create a new local and the second one cannot.

Message 6 of 7
haydenwse
in reply to: haydenwse

This does not seem to be a file access problem because I can open and save to files on the remote computers.

Here is the situation.  I have two computers "A" and "B"

On computer A I open a central file "central.rvt" that is stored on B.  It creates a local file "central_A.rvt.  I can make elements editable and move them.  The file will sync to central.

If I try opening "central.rvt" which is stored on A which computer A it will not allow me to check the "Create New Local" button.

Message 7 of 7

I am not exactly sure why you are getting this behaviour, but it should work.

Please try to read some of these postings right here:

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/10/why-is-create-new-local-grayed-out.html

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Central-file-problem-windows-7/td-p/290438...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Central-Files-and-UNC-paths/td-p/2793712

Hope this helps.

Timmy De Austria

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report