Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a CNAME DNS redirect to change servers

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Jroper
618 Views, 1 Reply

Using a CNAME DNS redirect to change servers

I need to move our two main network license mangager apps over from old to new machines.  We use the adskflex_license_file variable to point client machines to two distributed license servers.  My plan was to use scripting to change everyone's variable values over to the new server names.  However, someone suggested that I could simply redirect the licensing traffic with DNS using CNAME.  This would redirect all pointers from the old name to the new name.

Has anyone tried this?  Will this work?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Jroper
in reply to: Jroper

Just wanted to follow up.  If anyone has this question, the answer is yes.  We have set our adskflex_license_file to autodesklicense01;autodesklicense02;autodesklicense03.  We can now redirect those aliased names to whatever hosts we like now.  Very useful when migrating data centers.  We had to move our license vm's to another place and needed to change hosts and naming convention.  Now, we can move anywhere without distrupting or pushing out a new variable to clients.  The other benefit is no one has to wonder where the autodesk license servers are.  You can use remote desktop or explore using the cname without knowing what the real host name is.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report