Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to 2014 from 2008

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
MGG_Pompano
1006 Views, 7 Replies

Upgrading to 2014 from 2008

I'm currently upgrading my current version of AutoCad 2008 to AutoCat LT 2014 and I've had a few problem problems upgrading previous versions, so decided it would be best if I asked first.

Would I run into any problems upgrading from 2008 to LT 2014? 
Would it be better/advised to purchase a stand-alone AutoCad LT 2014 instead of the upgrade version?

My current system is up to date and well exceeds the system requirements for 2014.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
nestly2
in reply to: MGG_Pompano

I haven't done an "upgrade" since the 90's, but AFAIK, the primary difference between "new" and "upgrade" is just a routine in the installer that won't allow installation unless a previous (qualifying) product is already installed, both will likely give you an opportunity to migrate existing settings, or do a "clean" install.

The advantage of a "new" stand-alone version is that 2008 will remain on your computer and you may continue to run it concurrently with 2014 without restriction.  Right now with promotion a new license for LT2014 is $1000 and "upgrade" is $714, so IMO, the decision comes down to whether keeping 2008 is worth $286 dollars?

Message 3 of 8
philip.s

Hello!

Just wanted to add some clarification that an upgrade does not require a qualifying version be installed. What it does require is that you have a qualifying version license, which is entered during the activation process along with the new license info, and in doing so the old license becomes upgraded an no longer available for use.

Message 4 of 8
pendean

There is no "upgrade" from AutoCAD to LT. You can't buy it.

So, contrary to what everyone else has responded to date, you WILL be buying a standalone LT2014 seat and installing it like you do any other software. It will not be aware of or interfere with your AutoCAD 2008 installation.

And no, LT will not migrate anything from AutoCAD: you'll have to do all that manually if needed.
Message 5 of 8
philip.s
in reply to: pendean

Good catch Dean. I completely missed that, assuming it was an upgrade from AutoCAD LT 2008 to AutoCAD LT 2014.

Message 6 of 8
MGG_Pompano
in reply to: philip.s

Yes it's "simple" AutoCad 2008 to AutoCad LT 2014.

So it looks like I'm better off to purchase a brand new license of AutoCad LT 2014.

Message 7 of 8
pendean

You don't have another choice 🙂
Message 8 of 8
iliapi

My current AutoCADD 2008 is not running well as i loose a few functions such as Properties palettes not in the way i had them before, eg Hatch, Dimension, Text Styles, Line Type etc. How do i get my previous setting that i use to enjoy in the last 5years.

The objects that i have on my Properties palette now, are General, 3D Vis, Plot style, View, Misc. These objects are totally not of any use to what i tried to achieve.

Asking for suggestion and help.

i tried to apply the CUI files but do not really know how it works.

I know Autodesk will insist that i get upgrade to AutoCADD 2014 but i am not finnacially ready for that yet.

What i would like to know if i uninstall the AutoCADD 2008 and re-install it again if that will help.

Regards Iliapi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report