Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from Student to Commercial License - 3DS Max

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
aparke13
4942 Views, 5 Replies

Upgrading from Student to Commercial License - 3DS Max

Okay, I've asked a few reps already and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere...

Here is my scenario...

1. I own a student version of 3DS Max
  2. I create models for the game engine, Unity, to learn how the pipeline works
  3. I now plan on upgrading my 3DS Max Student copy to a Commercial License to use these models in the game and sell it

Here is my question. In this situation, would I be able to use my models for commercial purposes because I bought a license, or would I have to remake all the models all over again up to the point of when I bought the license?

And please, not to be rude to anyone, but don't just spit back at me what the terms and services say, something along the lines of *Student license can only be used for educational purposes*...
I understand this more than anyone. That is why I want to buy a commercial license, so I can use my models for my games and pay the company who allowed me to make them. But I am asking if the commercial license gives me the right to use my models for commercial purposes, since that is what I am paying for.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

-Anthony

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: aparke13

You cannot use content created in EDU software commercially: it's a violation of the EDU license.
Simple rule, simple rule violation. You can't cheat the system by later buying of a commercial license: you will get embarrassed publicly when you get fined by Autodesk since they tell your peers and peer journals about it, that's how it goes down.
Message 3 of 6
david.lau
in reply to: pendean

Certain products have a watermark too.   This happens in Maya and AutoCAD for sure.

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2012/04/quick-start-some-tips-when-using-installing-comme...

NOTE: #2 when installing the same version but on the computer.  i.e. Max 2014 EDU vs Max 2014 Commercial.

David Lau
Message 4 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: aparke13

Dean couldn't be more correct.  The educational stamp essentially is a plague and any imported reference to it from your commercial work will also "poison" your commercial work with the stamp.  And anyone you send that work to will have their works poisoned by it.  Any respectable entitiy will avoid your models at all cost for risk of ruining their own work.  I have seen it happen in the past and it creates panic in the company as drawing after drawing is stamped due to a referenced edu file.  Very very bad idea.  Just redo the work.  You should be able to do it quicker and better the 2nd time around. 

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 6
pianoman2601
in reply to: TravisNave

i pretty much have the same question as him just a little different i built a lot of my models in zbrush but sometimes i used mudbox for just viewing them because i like the shaders but will autodesk leave a watermark on those obj files???? because that would be horrible and some of the models i spent weeks on!!!! how do i find out what files are watermarked????

Message 6 of 6

@pianoman2601

First thing..  This posting is 4 years old..  These old postings should not be replied too.  Second thing.. Don't post twice about the same subject because it just leads to duplication conversations and confusion to you and others that are helping you out.  In the end just post once and someone will assist you.  Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report