Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstall Maya 2011 trial on Moc OSX?!?! why is there no uninstaller?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
wasbubs
5354 Views, 7 Replies

Uninstall Maya 2011 trial on Moc OSX?!?! why is there no uninstaller?

This is so frustrating!  Why is there no uninstaller for mac?  windows has an uninstaller!  

I found the other thread which links to a pdf of the installation guide where on page 29 is tells me how to uninstall maya from OSX.  this is what is says

To uninstall Maya on Mac OS X 1 Navigate to the Maya directory (by default,

/Applications/Autodesk/maya2011/).

2 Drag the maya2011 application to the trash.

3 Open a Terminal window and execute the following commands, where <productKey> is your product key.:

adlmreg –u S <productKey> 2011.0.0.F adlmreg –u N <productKey> 2011.0.0.F

I found my product key is 657C1.

so I moved maya 2011 folder from applications to the trashcan opened terminal ran the command and got this.

bubs$ adlmreg –u S 657C1 2011.0.0.F
Invalid number of arguments.
usage: ./adlmreg -i N 657C1 657C1 2011.0.0.F 000-00000000 /Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/PIT/MayaConfig.pit
       ./adlmreg -u N 657C1 2011.0.0.F

bubs$ adlmreg –u S 657C1 2011.0.0.FInvalid number of arguments.usage: ./adlmreg -i N 657C1 657C1 2011.0.0.F 000-00000000 /Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/PIT/MayaConfig.pit       ./adlmreg -u N 657C1 2011.0.0.F

what does "invalid number of arguments" mean!  Seriously people how hard would it have been to include an uninstaller with the mac trial?  I have a full version on 2009 I want to uninstall the 2011 trial and go back to it.  I can use them both but all my maya files default to 2011 and the license is expired.  And I just don't want 2011 on my computer anymore!!  

also how do I remove the other two apps installed with it?  Composite 2011 and matchmover 2011?

With this frustration on just trying to remove the program I don't think I'll ever install another trail from autodesk again...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
frhervet
in reply to: wasbubs

Hi,

On Mac there is no uninstaller.

This isn't Autodesk but Apple that decide this.

Most application are "uninstall" when you drag it in the trash.

If you type :

./adlmreg -i N 657C1 657C1 2011.0.0.F 000-00000000 /Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/PIT/MayaConfig.pit

what are the result ?

Best regards.

Franck Hervet

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
S'il vous plaît Marquer cette réponse comme "Accepter comme solution" si elle répond à votre question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 8
wasbubs

-bash: ./adlmreg: No such file or directory

I get this with both.

if I run the first one without the ./ I get this.

usage: ./adlmreg -i N 657C1 657C1 2011.0.0.F 000-00000000 /Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/PIT/MayaConfig.pit

Message 4 of 8
frhervet

Type this on one line :

adlmreg -i N 657C1 657C1 2011.0.0.F 000-00000000 /Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/PIT/MayaConfig.pit adlmreg -u N 657C1 2011.0.0.F

Franck Hervet

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
S'il vous plaît Marquer cette réponse comme "Accepter comme solution" si elle répond à votre question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 8
wasbubs
in reply to: frhervet

well I got a different response to this.

jin:~ bubs$ adlmreg -i N 657C1 657C1 2011.0.0.F 000-000000 /Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/PIT/MayaConfig.pit adlmreg -u N 657C1 2011.0.0.F
Serial Number doesn't exist. Call setSerialNumber.

I tried the exact code you gave and I replaced the zeros with the serial number maya gives after you hit repair on the license screen and I get the same response.  I am moving the maya2011 folder to the trash before I try this.  Like it says to do in the manual.

Message 6 of 8
wasbubs

I also tried removing on of the serial numbers at the beginning with this

adlmreg -i N 657C1 2011.0.0.F 354-63512676 /Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/PIT/MayaConfig.pit adlmreg -u N 657C1 2011.0.0.F
Registration failed with code: 26

and that is what I get in return.  registration failed

Message 7 of 8
arsnic265

That is really not at all correct. On Mac OSX many times the installer is the uninstaller. For basic programs that only use Mac OS's built in frameworks, yes, you can drag to trash the application and it is considered uninstalled. For Autodesk Software however, they install their own libraries, own files across the system. Take BackBurner as an example, if you merely delete the BackBurner folder in Applications, you still have the web backend in the /Library/WebServer/Documents area, not to mention the underlining frameworks that were installed when the software was. To date, as far as I can find, Autodesk offers no uninstall features for any of their softwares. The "fix" for this is reverting to a TimeMachine backup or reformatting. Its rather sad actually that a company this large can create at least an AIO uninstaller.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 8
mikbe.tk
in reply to: frhervet

@frhervet wrote:

On Mac there is no uninstaller.

This isn't Autodesk but Apple that decide this.

That's not really true and is a really harmful misconception. There are all sorts of configs, preference files, linked libraires, and helpers not stored in the directory contents of the .app. 

This is especially true with the Autodesk apps as they even install service deamons and extensions to the Apache webserver every Mac comes with. It really insinuates itself into the very workings of your computer so should provide a real way to remove all the junk it installs (often without your knowledge).

You could think you've "uninstalled" Maya but in reality you have lots of zombie processes eating up your computer's CPU cycles. Unforgivable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report