Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhandled Access Violation??? - Inventor Suite 2012

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
AndrewSchramm
477 Views, 6 Replies

Unhandled Access Violation??? - Inventor Suite 2012

Yesterday I received a new machine for my work, and installed the 2012 Inventor Suite that we recently received, since we were told that once we got 2012 we would not be able to load 2011 or 2010 (what I used on previous machine).  Everything in the installation process went smoothly and seem to work perfectly fine.  However, I get an "unhandled access violation" every time that I try to open any of the products up.  It gets to where the window will completely load, and then it just shuts itself down.  Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this and/or how to correct this?

Thanks,

Andrew

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pat
Explorer
in reply to: AndrewSchramm

Andrew

did you get an answer from autodesk on this. I have the same issue. it seem to be related to fcsvr.dll if I read the datadump correctly.

is your computer on a domain or workgroup?

Pat

Message 3 of 7
AndrewSchramm
in reply to: pat

No one seems to know anything so far.  Actually, I am noticing that my entire Suite of products is running VERY slow and jumpy, or at least the ones that will actually open. 

Pretty sure I'm on a domain, though not 100%, maybe 90. I'm just an Engineer and the end user of this product, and not in IT. So I have some limited knowledge of this stuff. I'll have someone at the office this afternoon though that should be able to take a look at it.

Message 4 of 7
pat
Explorer
in reply to: AndrewSchramm

My impression is that not all the components, or software parts of the suite get registered in the computer properly.  I have easily installed 2012 suite on brand new computers (2), and the issue seem to come from computers that had inventor 2011 on it while on a domain... 

I don't have the problem on non domain, or on new computers.  Also, although my software are perfectly legal, there is a file named FWSvr.dll, which is part of the suite, that gets flag by antivirus.  I am still investigating and will keep you updated on this post.

If you see anything new on your side let me know through this post, and perhaps we could send a nice MEZZO LATTE to tech support of autodesk that is following these posts.  Help would be greatly appreciated PLEASE AUTODESK.

Cheers.

Message 5 of 7
AndrewSchramm
in reply to: pat

If anything gets figured out on this end I will let you know. Though I can say that this computer would have had (at the absolute latest) Inventor 2008 on it. Only myself and our dedicated cad guy have had anything beyond 2008 (within our larger parent company).

And yes, it would be nice for some help on this AUTODESK....

Message 6 of 7

Possible solution:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14487632&linkID=9240617

Did not work for me, but potentially for others it could.

The hotfix is for a printing issue, but the correct .dll file is included within supposedly.  I have know idea what a .dll does, but here this is.  This link was sent to me by our vendor representative as a potential solution.

Message 7 of 7

Ok...Problem fixed.  It took a couple different steps to get there in the end, but it ended up being something entirely too simple. AND it could have been solved almost immediately had AUTODESK noticed the mass amounts of Crash Reports coming from my email address. SMH. Below is the step by step process I took to correct the issue. I decided to put ALL of this here in the case that my simple solution is not the end all solution for the rest of you that may encounter this problem.  So here goes....

First step that was taken was to perform a clean uninstall of ALL Autodesk products.  The process can be seen here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240817

Once you do a clean uninstall, you then need to go back and reinstall EACH item one-by-one. Do NOT perform the full install all in one step.  Somehow it works out better when each program is installed on it's own.  Regardless of this, I saw no major improvements (i.e. Inventor still not fully loading).

The next step that I took was to contact our supplier representative. He had just happened to be talking to my boss (about getting me signed up for some Advanced training) the week all this happened, so my boss just passed him over to me.  No good solutions there, but he did have one suggested hotfix from the previous version of Inventor.  It comes bundled with a whole bunch of other stuff, but the appropriate .dll that could have been corrupted is entangled within the Microsoft hotfix seen here:

(Autodesk explanation) http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14487632&linkID=9240617

(Direct to hotfix) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971276

Third, I was put in touch with the Rand/Imaginit Tech Support. We get our software and training through Imaginit.  This time it was midly helpful, though not completely.  After another round of a suggested clean uninstall/reinstall, Inventor still did not work.  So...the tech support rep asked to do a webex to clean up my .Net Framework, since there have been some issues with that lately.  The process is here:

1) Clean uninstall

2) .Net Framework 4 Extended removed

3) .Net Framework 4 Client Profile removed

4) .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 removed

5) .Net Framework 3.0 SP2 removed

6) .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 removed

7) Download dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip  (scan if you like but the page was clean for me)

😎 Run the cleanup tool.

9) From your Autodesk Install disks (or 16Gb flash drive as in my case), run the dotNetFx35setup file.

Located in (D or E):\3rdParty\Net\35SP1\wcu\dotNetFramework.

10) Run dotNetFX4setup from the corresponding folder (as was done with 3.5 above).

11) Reboot.

12) Install any windows updates.

13) Reboot agian.

14) Install Autodesk program by program, one at a time.

Sadly, this too did not work in my case.  The final step taken was that I was asked to pretty much spam Autodesk IT with crash reports so that I would be easy to find if someone looked for me.  I sent between 5 and 10 crash reports in a matter of about 2 minutes.  I think this was last week on Thursday or Wednesday.  By friday I had not heard anything.  Sunday night apparently I was emailed by Autodesk and they asked for more information.  I sent and then copied to my tech rep from Rand/Imaginit and within about three hours I had a solution.  See how simple it is when Autodesk finally gets around to helping you...again SMH!  I think they need a bigger IT staff.

My end all solution was that in each and every crash report it was found that my driver for my video card was crashing.  So...I was sent a link to an Autodesk page with a spiffy new Driver for my Nvidea video card and everything wrks perfect now.  Apparently, Inventor 2012 loads in a different manner than previous versions and could cause a crash like this.  So...check your drivers for updates people!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report