Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT - Autodesk Vault 2012 - Separate Filestores and SQL servers

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tonywgs
342 Views, 6 Replies

URGENT - Autodesk Vault 2012 - Separate Filestores and SQL servers

Hi there,

My company is just in the process of upgrading from Vault 2009 to Vault 2012. The office is just using the free vault that comes with Inventor.

The current setup with Vault 2009 has the Vault Server, SQL 2005 Database and the File Store all on the same server.

With the new arrangement we are looking to put the SQL database on a dedicated SQL 2008 server will be on West Coast of Australia (We can only have the database information stored here, no software can be installed on this server, and this server can't be rebooted as it controls DB's across Asia Pacific), the Vault server software and the file store will be on the same server on the East Coast of Australia.

Is this setup strucure possible.

One possible issue I have noticed is that backups are of both the Database and Filestore information, indicating they may have to be located on the same server.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tonywgs
in reply to: tonywgs

I have just come across information that tells me I can hav a remote database as long as I'm using Vault Colaboration or Vault Professional. (http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/2012/Help/03._Installation_and_Configuration/005Vault_Install...

If this is the case, can I backup data on the free Vault and then restore it on Vault Colaboration with a remote Database?

I'm aware upgrading from 2009 to 2012 requires an intemediate restore and backup as it is only backwards compatible by 2 versions.

Also what is the approximate cost of Vault Colaboration? Is it based on a per user cost or a single one off cost?

If we can have a remote SQL database with Vault Colaboration then I think the deciding factor will be the difference in cost between getting the local server to have SQL 2008 and the cost of Vault Colaboration.

Any information or opinions on what we are trying to do would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tony

Message 3 of 7
DarrenP

yes you can take your free vault backup and restore it to the paid vault products

the pricing is based on per user cost

for pricing you need to talk to your local reseller

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
tonywgs
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks Darren,

I thought that would be the case re: restoring from free to paid product.

I'll contact our Autodesk rep to find out what deal our global agreement has for this.

Cheers!

Tony

Message 5 of 7
tonywgs

Can somone please confirm that when using Vault Collaboration with a remote database, you don't need to install the Vault Server software on the SQL Server? So there isn't any requirement to install anything on the SQL server (No installs and no reboots)

The Vault Server software would be installed on the same server as the filestore.

This setup is imperative to our setup and will be a deal breaker if we can't arrange it this way.

Cheers!

Tony

Message 6 of 7
DarrenP

i would read this first: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16853779&linkID=9261341

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
mboromas

Could someone please help with a link to Vault Professional 2012 or Vault Collaboration 2012. All atempts to download this version for trial purposes have failed as it's nowhere to be found & what we have is basic Vault with AutoCAD Electrical. Will appreciate!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report