Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Products, different license server

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
maxst2
574 Views, 7 Replies

Two Products, different license server

Hello,

My issue is we just purchased AutoCAD electrical and use its network license globally, meaning all the job sites and district office share from the same pool. We also have AutoCAD pointing to the same server for the license from the district office, but not at some job sites. The issue we've run into is that there is only one LIC file for BOTH programs. So no matter what both programs are pulling from the "main" server for AutoCAD, rather than their individual job site servers to pull from.

What can I do to remedy this?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TravisNave
in reply to: maxst2

Sounds like you need a distributive license server system with a license server at each job site.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 8
maxst2

Ok got a bit more details...

It appears that even though we have each LIC file - found out each one does have one... except how it treats it is it seems to favor the district office's server for both programs.

Wondering how AutoDesk setup this up on how it chooses the server. As it seems to favor choosing the wrong server reguardless of what the LIC file says.
Message 4 of 8
TravisNave

You may have to edit the LICPATH.LIC file in your application's root folder. You can also set an environment variable to point to the correct server.

All of these instructions have been posted numerous times in this forum.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 8
mahahaavaahava

Hi,

the main"server" is probably being used because it's the 1st one all workstations find due to networkstructure. There's a way to force the workstations to look at an other server for the license. Here's how:

1. In Control Panel, double-click Performance and Maintenance.
2. Click System.
3. On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.
4. Under System Variables, click New.
5. Enter the new environment variable name, ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE.
6. In the Variable Value field, enter an at sign (@) followed by the host name of each license server to which you want to point the client. Use a semicolon (;) to separate each server name. For example:

@server1;@server2;@server3

7. Click OK in each dialog box to close all open dialog boxes.

Cheers,

Petri
Message 6 of 8
maxst2

Petri,

Thank you for your reply this works for AutoCAD 2007... but AutoCAD Electrical no longer works. IS there a way to specify what LIC file the system variable we made points to? It seems as though its telling BOTH LIC files to use this. I just need AutoCAD 2007 to use it.
Message 7 of 8
mahahaavaahava

Hello again,

you do realize that an AutoCAD installation that is made from the Electrical installationpackage will always use the license for the Electrical and one made from a Vanilla AutoCAD will only use the Vanilla AutoCAD-license? IF this isn't the problem maybe you should look at using the Options-file methid to control licenseusage?

/Petri
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

> Thank you for your reply this works for AutoCAD 2007... but AutoCAD
> Electrical no longer works.
> IS there a way to specify what LIC file the system variable we made points
> to?
> It seems as though its telling BOTH LIC files to use this. I just need
> AutoCAD 2007 to use it.

In a lot of cases like these it makes sense to avoid the actual LIC files
and just update the environment variables themselves.
This helps you avoid confusion about missing entries, duplicate entries or
ensuring if the files are in the right paths or are actually being read.

Best regards,

Henrik Goldman
---

Flexlm license management to reduce your costs -
http://www.x-formation.com/license_statistics/index.html

Our blog on software license management - http://blog.x-formation.com/

Protect your software with LM-X License Manager -
http://www.x-formation.com/lm-x_license_manager/index.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report