Installation & Licensing

Valued Contributor
Carl_mgfx
Message 1 of 4 (227 Views)

Tracking and limiting Vault license usage

227 Views, 3 Replies
05-20-2013 03:48 AM

Hi all

I have been doing a lot of reading when it comes to Vault and licensing, but I have not found a solution to my problem.

The situation is as follows:

We have 18 designers and 25 Vault Pro licenses, this leaves 7 "floating" licenses for use around the plant.

The problem comes in when more than 7 users around the plant pull vault licenses, leaving designers without licenses and resulting in the loss of work in the design office.

Is there a way to track the use of the Vault licenses?  I know the Vault log can be viewed but this takes too long to pin point who has licenses at any given time.  Is there a program similar to Sam report, JTB FlexReport or OpenLM that can track the Vault license usage, or read from the Vaults log file and give an easy to understand output?

Is there a way to reserve Vault licenses for a set group of users?  I already know that the NLM options file doesn't work, but is there something similar for Vault licensing?  Or should Vault be setup in a different way to accomodate for this?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Gigabyte Q1542, Win 7 Pro 64Bit, i5 - 3230M, 8 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics with Nvidia GeForce 640M / 2GB and Optimus
Mentor
jtbworld
Message 2 of 4 (219 Views)

Re: Tracking and limiting Vault license usage

05-20-2013 08:05 AM in reply to: Carl_mgfx

I have it on my to-do-list to add reporting of Vault license usage to JTB FlexReport. Feel free to contact me at info@jtbworld.com for further discussion about it.

Jimmy Bergmark
JTB World - Software development and consulting
Specialities: AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture and Revit
http://www.jtbworld.com

JTB FlexReport - network license reports
http://www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport/index.htm
Valued Contributor
Carl_mgfx
Message 3 of 4 (206 Views)

05-20-2013 11:33 PM in reply to: Carl_mgfx

Hi Jimmy

Thank you for the reply.  I have sent you a mail with the same subject as this forum post.

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Gigabyte Q1542, Win 7 Pro 64Bit, i5 - 3230M, 8 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics with Nvidia GeForce 640M / 2GB and Optimus
Distinguished Contributor
obourne
Message 4 of 4 (156 Views)

08-20-2013 10:19 AM in reply to: Carl_mgfx

YOu can find out who has a Vault license by looking at the server log in the ADMS console. It's very verbose and has stuff you won't care about so you will need to sift throu it. I personally copy the log to excel and sift out what I want to see there.

That said, Vault has an automatic 30 minute time out so if a license sit in active for more than 30 minutes it should be returned to the aspplication pool.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube