Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
dav.architect
323 Views, 4 Replies

Too many Issues

all,

I'm new to this so please excuse me if this thread has been covered elsewhere.

I have an Autodesk Educational License and now I'm settling in to fully get down to my learning I am finding that I can't get very far. Just bought Mastering AutoCAD for Mac and downloaded the accompanying sample file, no problem.

Problems.

1. AutoCAD keeps crashing. I mean continuously so I can't use the programme.

2. I'm using Mountain Lion on a MacBook with additional screen, 4Gb.

3. I am unable to download any AutoCAD 2011 'updates' (I believe that there are at least 3). Has this something to do with me running an Educational version of the programme? I did manage to open one sample drawing this morning and got the message that "The drawing File being opened was not created by a product from an Autodesk Education Suite. If you save this drawing it will always be plotted with the following plot stamp: PRODUCED BY AN AUTODESK EDUCATIONAL PRODUCT. It is recommended that you save this file with a different file name". After 5 minutes AutoCAD crashed.

4. I am unable to find any real support other than to try this Forum.

Can you please help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in anticipation.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi dav.architect and welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you are having problems starting your AutoCAD learning.

From what I understand you are running AutoCAD for Mac 2011 downloaded from the Education Community, is that corrrect? My answers below assume that this is what you are trying to run. Please let me know if that's not the case:

1 and 2: AutoCAD for Mac 2011 is not supported on Mountain Lion at this moment. We have released beta service packs for the 2012 and 2013 versions (click here for more information). These SPs address a great part of the compatibility issues between Mountain Lion and AutoCAD for Mac 2012 and 2013. At this moment our suggestion would be to download the 2012 or 2013 versions.

3. I have tested the downloads of all 3 updates available for AutoCAD for Mac 2011 and all worked well, so I presume you are having problems installing the updates. If that is the case, the answer for questions 1 and 2 also applies here. Regarding the message you received when trying to open a file: You can open files created on commercial versions of our products on your Student Version. However, if you save the file and make any changes, the stamp mentioned on that message will be added to the design.

4. You can get customer support from Autodesk via Twitter and other channels listed on our brand new Contact Us page. For technical support, your best bet really are the forums here as they are monitored by pro users and our know tech support folks.

Please, let me know if you need any further assistance/information.

Camilo Lemos

Message 3 of 5

Hi, I really appreciate your speedy response. To make things a little clearer (hopefully) I contacted Autodesk and asked them for a free license as I was undertaking design work abroad on Children's Homes, Churches, Hospitals and Schools and was based in a Church which also had charitable status doing mission work, and they gave me a free 3 year license on AutoCad 2011 for Mac. I don't know if this is deemed as an Autodesk 'education' Suite or not, but every time I open a file I get the following message - The Drawing File being opened was not created by a product from an AutoCad Education Suite. If you save this drawing it will always be plotted with the following plot stamp : PRODUCED BY AN AUTODESK EDUCATIONAL PRODUCT. It is recommended that you save this drawing with a different file name. Initially I though Mountain Lion would not be an issue and I was able to open a simple example drawing provided by Sybex as part of 'Mastering AutoCAD for Mac' training guide. After a few simple operations I got an Error Report Message and since then I can't even open AutoCAD. I just get the same error message. I note your point about downloading either AutoCAD 2012 or 2013, but am I able to do this under my free license? I am not in a position to pay for this as, although I am now back in UK, my work still does not provide sufficient funds to allow this. David Booth - from iPad email: dav.architect@gmail.com Skype: jacdavb1 Phone: (+44) 07794 236764
Message 4 of 5
philip.s
in reply to: dav.architect

HI dav.architect,

It does indeed sound like you received a free student license which one would typically procure through the Autodesk Education Community. If you were a registered member, than yes, you would be able to request a new termed license  for one of the other versions of AutoCAD for Mac (please see the Eligability Listing for more info).

Do you recall who you had worked with previously to receive the AutoCAD for Mac 2011 license? Was the correspondence done with a different email address than the one you registered in the forums with?

Message 5 of 5
dav.architect
in reply to: philip.s

Hi, Thanks for your help on this one. I've now managed to download AutoCAD 2013 and this appears to run much smoother on Mountain Lion. In fact I've been able to get through a couple of chapters of the Training Guide without problem. Great! David Booth - from iPad email: dav.architect@gmail.com Skype: jacdavb1 Phone: (+44) 07794 236764

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report