Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Network or Not to Network

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
RickW
177 Views, 4 Replies

To Network or Not to Network

I'm a bit of a novice at this, so please bear with me if this seems like a dumb question.

We currently own one seat of Arch. Desktop 2006 which we have no yet installed (we're still using A.D. 3.3). Our company is growing and we really need to install on more than one machine (4 would be preferrable - maybe 5). I would like to be able to use this at home, as well as at work (I understand that this is legitimate)

My options seem to be either A) buying several more seats, B) upgrading (if this is possible) my single seat to a multi-seat license or C) upgrading my single seat to a network deployed license (not really sure how this works).

My question: Which option would be the best (and most economical)?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: RickW

Well you should really determine how many seats you will need to have 100% of the time. If you really need to have 5 seats, then you should buy four more stand-alone licenses.

Combining all the seats into one multi-seat stand-alone group number would be wise in this situation, because it would give you one serial number that you could deploy on your 5 different machines.

On the other hand, if you only think you are going to use 2 or 3 seats 100% of the time, then you should purchase a network license of 3 seats. That way you can install ADT on as many machines as you need and up to three users can access it at any time. Having less seats would save you some cash. You'd also get a borrow license option.

Or you can mix and match. Have 2 multi-seats stand-alone and 1 or 2 floating network license(s). I'd talk to your reseller and discuss your needs and they can help you with the pricing. There are additional fees for the convenience of the network license. You should really consider putting your ADT under Subscription.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
RickW

Thanks for the input. Our copy of 2006 is under subscription. I'll have to think about how to handle the additional seats. Pretty costly to buy 3 or 4 new seats. You'd think there would be a multi-seat discount.
Message 4 of 5
TravisNave

Agreed. That is why most people go for the network option.

Might ask your reseller about different discounts. Of course, there are companies that have hundreds of licenses.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 5
Colin French

RickW wrote: "I would like to be able to use this at home, as well as at work (I understand that this is legitimate)"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Check the licensing carefully. I believe that is only true for individual seats. A stand alone multi-seat single-serial-number license does not allow for it, and of course with a network license you would have to borrow licenses when you or other staff needed to work at home.

...Colin French

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report