Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing new version while using old version

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
shnerk
321 Views, 2 Replies

Testing new version while using old version

I have a unique scenario that I hope you can help with.  I am in charge of getting applications prepared and tested with our Windows 7 64-bit deployments.  We currently have 3 users who use the Autodesk 2013 software.  Two of them are networked licenses and the other is standalone.  I am attempting to get one of the networked licenses ready for testing under the new Windows 7 system that will replace the user's existing XP system.  I have downloaded and installed the Autodesk Building Suite 2014 and entered the assigned license/product key on the system.  I've entered the license server name, but i don't believe we've received the new license file for the server to allow connections.  My question is, can the users continue to use their Windows XP systems while they remote into their Windows 7 system to do testing on the new platform?  Can two licenses be served (one for 2013 and one for 2014) from the single server?  Or will I need to install the 30-day trial version and then plan to upgrade everyone at the same time once I upgrade the server license?  It's a bit confusing how it all works.  Any help would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TravisNave
in reply to: shnerk

Welcome to the community.

To answer your question, yes and no.

When you get your 2014 license, which you can do anytime, it will allow for the 2014 license to be used as well as the existing 2013 seats.  This assumes you are under Subscription, of course.  This won't affect your 2013 at all.  It's designed to run the latest version and up to three releases back. 

That being said, the users can launch the 2014 software on the Win7 machines as a test, if there are still licenses available.  If not, they will have to close their 2013 on their XP machines and then relaunch it on the Win7.  The license manager will handle who gets what opened, but only to the max of the licenses owned.  Once the limit is reached, somebody will get a -4 error. 

Basically, if you have 2 seats, for example, you can only run two instances max between all the versions you have. 

Your test is totally doable.  It just might be mildly inconvenient for your users during this phase. 

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 3
shnerk
in reply to: TravisNave

Perfect!  Thank you for the quick response.  This will work for us as the users can definitely close down their 2013 version while testing the 2014 version.  I will work on requesting the new license file for the server then.  Thank you again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report