Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stand-alone to Network 2010 (R18.0)

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
TravisNave
3697 Views, 13 Replies

Stand-alone to Network 2010 (R18.0)

Autodesk finally changed the method of converting AutoCAD from stand-alone to network in the registry with AutoCAD 2010 products. No longer is there a 2a=stand-alone and 19=network. Now it is simply 1=network 2=stand-alone.

Location is still the same as before:

HKLM \ Software \ Autodesk \ AutoCAD \ R18.0 \ ACAD-8001:409 \ AdLM

Type REG_DWORD Value 1=network 2=stand-alone

Also, the adskflex.exe NLM version is 11.5 this time around.

Enjoy!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: TravisNave

TravisNave wrote:
> Autodesk finally changed the method of converting AutoCAD from
> stand-alone to network in the registry with AutoCAD 2010 products. No
> longer is there a 2a=stand-alone and 19=network. Now it is simply
> 1=network 2=stand-alone.

Thanks for the report.
You cannot go from NLM to Standalone though without a reinstall, right?

--
R.K. McSwain
http://cadpanacea.com
Message 3 of 14
TravisNave

According to my initial tests, this appears to be correct. If I find a work-around, I will let you know. However, it would probably be dependent on installing with 000-00000000 and 00000 during initial setup. Network keys will not authorize as stand-alone.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 14
TravisNave

It appears that I cannot get the product to launch after making the switch. I will have to determine the root cause.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

TravisNave wrote:
> According to my initial tests, this appears to be correct. If I find a
> work-around, I will let you know. However, it would probably be
> dependent on installing with 000-00000000 and 00000 during initial
> setup. Network keys will not authorize as stand-alone.

That is what I thought. Is this just an oversight or are they purposely
trying to discourage changing this? Why isn't a switch in either
direction made easier? ....

--
R.K. McSwain
http://cadpanacea.com
Message 6 of 14
TravisNave

I would have to think that they are trying to discourage it. My initial testing on this has been unsuccessful, so I will have to spend more time searching for a workable solution. It's unfortunate, because such a simple switch does help in many situations.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 14
cdodge

It's possible (but kinda ugly) to switch from standalone to network....

1) Set the TYPE registry key to "1" (3=Standalone) in the following registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.0\ACAD-XXXX:409\ADLM

If you were to start AutoCAD now, it would flash something on screen then exit VERY quickly.

2) This is the hard bit: Find someone's machine that has ALL of the same 2010 products installed with network licensing.

3) Take a copy of the following file from the other persons machine and put it in the same location on yours:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk Product\LICPATH.LIC

Note: Unlike past versions of the product, 2010 seems to require this file EVEN if the "ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE" registry setting or environment variable is set correct.

4) Backup the following file on your machine, then copy over it with the same file from the other persons machine:

XP: C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\ADLM\ProductInformation.PIT

Vista: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ADLM\ProductInformation.PIT

Important notes: The PIT (Product Information Table) is an encrypted file that that has a table of information about every 2010 network or standalone product you have installed. So if you could magically decrypt it, its contents would look very roughly like the following:

AUTOCAD 2010, NETWORK

AUTOCAD ARCHITECTURE 2010, NETWORK

AUTOCAD MAP 3D 2010, NETWORK

AUTOCAD LT 2010, STANDALONE

So you can see how important it is to replace the file with one from a machine that has all of the same products.

The network version of that file IS transferable from machine to machine but I do not know for sure if standalone versions are 100% transferable in the same way.

The LOG file(s) in the same location as the PIT file can help you troubleshoot some issues - For example, I had a customer who log file said "Error reading decrypted information". It turns out that was due to the BETA version of AutoCAD being on the machine beforehand. And even though he cleaned up using the Autodesk supplied AcRegClean utility, it did not remove ProductInformation.PIT. Uninstalling/reinstalling after removing that file did the trick.

And keep in mind that if you do a REPAIR, REINSTALL or SERVICE PACK install that the registry key on step 1 will revert back to 3. I have verified that a repair or reinstall do NOT overwrite ProductInformation.PIT, so you shouldn't have to copy that file in again.

They should rename PIT to PITA

Chris Dodge

Microdesk

Message 8 of 14
TravisNave

Excellent find! I will try this also.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 14
TravisNave

Hmmm, corruption of this PIT file could mean imminent disaster for all Autodesk installed products. This change worries me a bit. However, I did verify your findings. It would be nice if we could find a way to modify this file...

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 14
cdodge

I agree.

A good example: After I *thought* I removed all the 2010 beta products from my machine, I deleted that ADLM folder.

However, I missed MAP 2010 beta.

When I found it and tried to uninstall it the uninstall failed with an error that it was not able to update the registration information. (I never did test to see if a repair install would have added the map info back to the PIT file...)

I was forced to use msizap and a manual cleanup of 100's of locations to get rid of map. And I'm sure I didnt find everything.

But the possibility of ProductInformation.PIT corruption or missing products are very good reasons why at the very least there should be a separate PITA file for each application installed. Or give the installer the ability to ignore the failure when adding or removing products from the file.
Message 11 of 14
TravisNave

Exactly. So now if the file is corrupt or missing, it takes a perfectly good working installation and keeps it from launching. Real smart.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 12 of 14
TravisNave

From what I understand now, this ProductInformation.PIT is the replacement for 2010 PLIST that is hard coded and provides the cascading information. PLIST itself is now only for legacy products.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 13 of 14
mwaychoff

returning to this old topic...
has anyone determined if you have a PIT from a CPU that perhaps had more apps on it than a normal user would the presence of additional info in the PIT cause a problem on the CPU with fewer apps? if not perhaps someone could build a kickin' box and submit an all inclusive PIT for CAD Mgr.s
Message 14 of 14
TravisNave

I would love to try this. Perhaps I will when I get some time to play with the product line. Probably won't happen until the 2011 product is released... and they'll probably change the workings by then. 🙂

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report