Installation & Licensing

Product Support
Robert.Adam
Message 11 of 17 (740 Views)

Re: Smoke 2012 ADLM server won't start on Mac OSX

12-06-2011 07:21 AM in reply to: kscpost

Ok, that's the problem. Your license files contain the Mac's hostname instead of the localhost IP of 127.0.0.1

here's how to fix this:

1. Open the Terminal.

2. Type sudo -i to become superuser.

3. Enter your password.

4. Type nano /usr/local/flexnetserver/adsk_server.lic

5. The file will open into a basic text editor.

6. Use your keys to move to the SERVER line, delete Smoke-Edit-1 and replace it with 127.0.0.1

7. Press CTRL+o to save the changes. Press Y to accept the overwrite. And then press CTRL+x to exit the editor.

8. Now type nano /var/flexlm/autodesk.lic  and repeat steps 5 to 7.

9. Close the terminal, open the Service Monitor app and restart the license server.

Please let me know if this worked.

Regards,

Robert.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Flame and Smoke Customer Support
If my answer solved your issue, please click "Accept as Solution"
kscpost
Message 12 of 17 (730 Views)

12-06-2011 02:51 PM in reply to: Robert.Adam

new log errors attached.

Product Support
Robert.Adam
Message 13 of 17 (723 Views)

12-07-2011 06:21 AM in reply to: kscpost
Hi Kscpost.
Looks like we hit a different issue now: the workstation host ID in your license file (e80688cd065d) does not seem to match the actual host ID of your Mac (e80688cc97fe).
You can confirm your Mac's actual host ID by using this command:
/usr/local/flexnetserver/lmutil lmhostid
This command will surely output e80688cc97fe, which is different than the ID in your license file (e80688cd065d).
The most likely reasons for such an error are:
a) There was a typo when you originally entered the host ID on the Autodesk registration page to generate the license key.
b) You changed certain core hardware components of your Mac since obtaining the license key, and thus the host ID that was used to generate the key is no longer valid.
There is also a slight chance that the host ID was correct in the license key generated by Autodesk, but somehow was copied over incorrectly when you installed the license key file on your Mac. Find the e-mail you received from Autodesk when you originally registered Smoke and make sure that's not the case.
If you suspect you have made a typo when entering the host ID on the registration page, or if you know you have changed important hardware components in your Mac since generating the license key, please fill in the following form and explain the issue to get an updated license key. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13682581 

Please let me know if this helped.

Thanks!

robert.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kscpost
Message 14 of 17 (721 Views)

12-07-2011 06:49 AM in reply to: Robert.Adam

Ok, so maybe you can shed some light on this for me.  The Mac Pro has 2 ethernet connections.

The first one in this unit is damaged because someone tripped on the cord.

So, the active one is the second.

My question now is, at any point of the activation/registration process, does the unit default to the "primary" controller??

I ask, because the only number I ever entered was the MAC address for the second...

Product Support
Robert.Adam
Message 15 of 17 (717 Views)

12-07-2011 07:53 AM in reply to: kscpost

Hi Kscpost.

Was the primary controller damaged (i.e. unable to relay its MAC address to the system) when you first registered Smoke? How did you obtain the workstation host ID at that time? Did you use the host ID displayed in the Smoke installer or did you manually get the MAC address of the 2nd card from the OS?

When you have multiple eth cards, the license system doesn't necessarily pick the primary card to generate the host ID.

But whatever card it picks, the host ID will always be the same as long as the HW doesn't change.

So if nothing has changed in the availability of your eth cards from the time you generated the license, the system's host ID should not have changed.

It would change only if your primary card has "died" in the meantime, or if you manually input the MAC of the secondary card on the registration page, while the license system actually picked the primary card as a source for the host ID.

If you run /usr/local/flexnetserver/lmutil lmhostid now what do you get?

If the ID is different from the one you see in your license key file, please fill in the form I mentioned previously to get a correct license key for your workstation.

Regards,

Robert.

kscpost
Message 16 of 17 (707 Views)

12-07-2011 09:29 AM in reply to: Robert.Adam

Wow, this is so frustrating...

I spoke to the licensing department and explained the situation.

After speaking with them about this, they said that they regenerated the license, with the correct information.

They emailed it and I applied it, and still cannot activate the license server.

I still get the same output of the incorrect MAC address on the terminal command.

So, I contacted licensing again, and they re-iterated that everything in the license file is correct.

They stated that the issue is technical in nature.

I've tried having someone from tech support call me back, but still have not heard back from anyone.

Really, really frustrated right now that I cannot get someone to call me back.

You have been great with your insights and offering of help...but unfortunately, going back and forth on the forum is not very efficient.  And as it stands we are dead in the water, so we are losing money.

Sorry, needed to vent a little...just very frustrated.

Product Support
Robert.Adam
Message 17 of 17 (703 Views)

12-07-2011 09:42 AM in reply to: kscpost

Hi

I'm sorry to hear that it still doesn't work. If you sent the current host ID to Autodesk Licensing Support, then the only way this issue could still occur is if your host ID has somehow changed in the meantime.

Did you use the lmutil command to get the host id that you sent to Autodesk Licensing Support?

Can you please look at the license key they sent you and verify that the ID on the SERVER line is indeed the same as tghe id you get when you run the lmutil lmhostid command?

Please send an e-mail to med <dot> support <at> autodesk <dot> com with your contact info and a brief description of the issue and one of my colleagues will open up a case for you and call you back. If the Autodesk Licensing Support team opened a case and gave you a case number, please include that in your e-mail.

Regards,

Robert.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube