Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent install for Inventor 2012 viewer

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
waldo120
3662 Views, 8 Replies

Silent install for Inventor 2012 viewer

Hi, what is the command to silently (or preferably passively) install inventor viewer 2012?

I tried using the msi file included, and it just put a note in the event viewer saying I must run it from setup.exe.

I don't need to customize anything, just want to install on several computers without running through the setup everytime.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
emily.xu
in reply to: waldo120

You can try this solution: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13863010&linkID=9242018. Though it is for 2011 and previous version, but I think it will apply for 2012 version.

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 3 of 9
waldo120
in reply to: emily.xu

Close, but not quite.

When my install script gets to inventor viewer it asks for permission to run the msi's.

When I use the below command for any other msi it installs passively without permission. I'm looking for a simular unattended setup.

msiexec /i "FolderSize-2.4.msi" /passive /norestart

Message 4 of 9
waldo120

I've now also gotten the below error when installing using this command line on 2 out of 3 of the computers I went to install using this method. Yet it installs just fine if I manually run the exe. All of my computers in question are fully updated using MS's WSUS server and on XP SP3.

This installation package cannot be installed by the windows installer service. You must install a Windows service pack that contains a newer version of the Windows Installer service.

Message 5 of 9
emily.xu

The machines need .NET framework 3.5 SP1 installed before you can run these commands. You can find the prerequisite in Setup.ini file.

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 6 of 9
waldo120

I looked at my WSUS and it says .Net 3.5 SP1 is "installed or NA" for all computers. No errors.

In addition attached you will find an example where .net 3.5 SP1 is installed, but I get the afore mentioned error. I've also followed up with an additional example.

Message 7 of 9
waldo120

2nd example

Message 8 of 9
emily.xu

From the error image, there maybe somthing wrong with the Windows installer, I would suggest you try to re-register (re-install) the Microsoft Windows Installer by this solution: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10304950&linkID=9240617.

If above not solve your problem, then try to install the latest version of the Microsoft Windows Installer from the Microsoft website.

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 9 of 9
waldo120

Doing what your hyperlink says to do works. Thanks.
I tried just setting the script to passively re-install, using the below command, before trying to install Inventor Viewer, but that doesn't seem to be enough. Guess when I get this error I'll just have to manually install. 😞

"Inventor Viewer 2012 x86\Msi\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe" /passive

------------------------

Any update on silently installing without requiring me to click run?

------------------------

Also, I'm starting to notice there is a lot of overlap between my 5 different AutoCAD viewer install folders. Is there someway for me to reduce the space this stuff takes up by combining (or deleting) the repeated folders? If so, is it documented somewhere what folders are repeated, and perhaps a suggested method? Or perhaps a single download that combines the 32 and 64 bit versions?

The different readers I use are (all 2012):

Design Review

TrueView x86

TrueView x64

Inventor View x86

Inventor View x64

------------------------

So the entire script that installs inventor viewer "nearly silently" goes like this:
REM If there is an error installing Inventor Viewer you will need to manually install it. Or

REM msiexec /unregister

REM del %systemroot%\system32\msi.dll

REM del %systemroot%\system32\msiexec.exe

REM del %systemroot%\system32\msihnd.dll

REM RebootREM "CAD\Inventor Viewer 2012 x86\Msi\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe" /passive

if /i %Processor_Architecture%==AMD64 goto 64bit

goto 32bit

:32bit

ECHO Installing Inventor Viewer

"Inventor Viewer 2012 x86\x86\InventorView\InventorView.msi" ADSK_SETUP_EXE=1 /qb

ECHO Installing Inventor Viewer English Launguage Pack

"Inventor Viewer 2012 x86\x86\en-US\InventorView\InventorViewLP.msi" ADSK_SETUP_EXE=1 /qb

goto 3264bit

:64bit

ECHO Installing Inventor Viewer

"CAD\Inventor Viewer 2012 x64\x64\InventorView\InventorView.msi" ADSK_SETUP_EXE=1 /qb

ECHO Installing Inventor Viewer English Launguage Pack

"CAD\Inventor Viewer 2012 x64\x64\en-US\InventorView\InventorViewLP.msi" ADSK_SETUP_EXE=1 /qb

goto 3264bit

:3264bit

REM No shared software to install here

Echo Done instaling Inventor Viewer 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report